Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

meter/main questions

Hi all, a few questions for the experts. Can I run a 200 amp sub panel in my house , which is now a 100 amp main due to the old service entrance is rated at 100 amp , I changed out the 200 amp main to a 100 amp 10 years ago when I put the panel in. Want to install a 200 Amp meter/main and run the house main as a a sub panel off the feed thru lugs , and put the 100 amp breaker I switch out of it into the meter/main to feed the 4-wire underground to the 100 amp main breaker sub in the garage. Seems easier than ripping the panel off the wall to run the entrance and sub thru the back of it as it is all finished and boring thru 10" poured concrete will not be fun. I understand they changed the nec on feeders . was going to use 2/0 from the poco line to the meter/main and to the house panel and 3-2 wires with a 4 ground to the garage panel. have installed 2-ground rods 80" apart with bare 6 wire at both the house and at the garage. Any thoughts? Speedy...Jim Port...any takers?

Amazingglazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,076

meter/main questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazingglazier View Post
Hi all, a few questions for the experts. Can I run a 200 amp sub panel in my house , which is now a 100 amp main due to the old service entrance is rated at 100 amp , I changed out the 200 amp main to a 100 amp 10 years ago when I put the panel in. Want to install a 200 Amp meter/main and run the house main as a a sub panel off the feed thru lugs , and put the 100 amp breaker I switch out of it into the meter/main to feed the 4-wire underground to the 100 amp main breaker sub in the garage. Seems easier than ripping the panel off the wall to run the entrance and sub thru the back of it as it is all finished and boring thru 10" poured concrete will not be fun. I understand they changed the nec on feeders . was going to use 2/0 from the poco line to the meter/main and to the house panel and 3-2 wires with a 4 ground to the garage panel. have installed 2-ground rods 80" apart with bare 6 wire at both the house and at the garage. Any thoughts? Speedy...Jim Port...any takers?

Where is the meter located? Attached to the structure?

stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #3

meter/main questions

Yes on the driveway side .
Old 07-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #4

meter/main questions

Just don't get the idea of poking 2 new holes thru the wall to run the new se wires in and go back out to the garage.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
E2 Electrician

meter/main questions

Quote:
Yes on the driveway side .
So is the existing panel inside rated for 200 amps? If so, I say your plan is good, you wont need another disconnect inside... if the garage is detached, you will need a disconnect at the garage, if it is attached, you only need to protect the feeder at the meter/main.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #6
E2 Electrician

meter/main questions

Quote:
Just don't get the idea of poking 2 new holes thru the wall to run the new se wires in and go back out to the garage.
They wont be service entrance wires if the meter contains a main breaker, they will be feeders at that point. So you will need 4 conductors from the meter main to the existing panel, and you will have to separate the grounds and neutrals inside that panel.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

meter/main questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375

So is the existing panel inside rated for 200 amps? If so, I say your plan is good, you wont need another disconnect inside... if the garage is detached, you will need a disconnect at the garage, if it is attached, you only need to protect the feeder at the meter/main.
I second this. Doubt your existing panel is rated for 200a. You can't just swap out mains. The equipment has to be rated for it.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
E2 Electrician

meter/main questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
I second this. Doubt your existing panel is rated for 200a. You can't just swap out mains. The equipment has to be rated for it.
Right, but.... You can just install a 100 amp breaker in the meter main for the existing panel. If that helps.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #9

meter/main questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
The existing panel is definately rated for 200 amps it is a ge tm I put in 10 years ago when I separated each room to it's own breaker, at that time I removed the 200 amp main and put a 100amp 22kaic breaker in it's place, so yes I will just swap the 200 back in, on this panel they bolt in as a normal breaker using 2 screw down tangs on each leg, I put the 100 on the 2 center tangs resulting in the ability to use the extra breaker slot capacity but not overloading the current 100 amp service.