Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2009, 09:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Meter to Garage sub panel

Can I run a second new service connection from the meter to the new sub panel in the garage? If so I will be runnig wire 55 feet to 60amp panel which size wire will I need?

Last edited by usajet; 09-28-2009 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Forgot some stuff
usajet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:34 PM   #2

Since you say sub-panel in garage I'm assuming you are also keeping the main panel. The sub-panel feeder should come from the service panel and have overcurrent protection there (breaker). You cannot come off the meterbase.

007brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #3

I want to run a new panel to the garage without going into the house panel. I heared that you can go right from the meter.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:59 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by usajet View Post
I want to run a new panel to the garage without going into the house panel. I heared that you can go right from the meter.

The only way you can do that if you have two main breaker right below the meter socket.

it called combo unit which it will house one main breaker and the other main breaker for other building what size your exsting service you have now ?

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:06 PM   #5

a 200 amp service
Old 09-28-2009, 10:28 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

I should stated overhead or underground service however if overhead it will be little easy to deal with this.

you can have 200 amp feed thru breaker box outside which it will have 200 a main breaker there and couple of breakers you can add there and it will have take off lugs that will feed to your house panel but you will have to change the service entrance conductor from 3 conductor to 4 conductor due the main service point and your exsting panel will become subpanel.

here one of my common SqD products here the model number

QO1816M200FTRB { this is QO series }

Or

HOM816M200FTRB { this is Homeline series }

I know there are other breaker manufacter do make simauir verison of this so it will be pretty close to this one.

To change over this one you may end up have electrician come out and deal with this due the meter socket issue.

Merci,Marc
Old 09-28-2009, 10:35 PM   #7

The wires are underground going Thur conduit to the meter which is attached to the house which is about 3 to 4 feet off the ground.. If I have to run the wires to the panel since it's a 60 main breaker in the garage I have to run a 60 amp in the house right?
Old 09-28-2009, 10:45 PM   #8
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by usajet View Post
The wires are underground going Thur conduit to the meter which is attached to the house which is about 3 to 4 feet off the ground.. If I have to run the wires to the panel since it's a 60 main breaker in the garage I have to run a 60 amp in the house right?

Ugh now it kinda my fault from start but we got the basic question covered now so we are kinda got the idea where we are now.

Normally yes you can run 60 amp breaker in the house panel and that will feed to subpanel in the garage that can have lug or main breaker in there depending on the number of breakers you will use in subpanel if more than 6 circuits then you will have to go with main breaker box some case main breaker box is cheaper than main lug verison for 16 or 20 space verison.

To use the correct conductors to the subpanel you will need to run in the conduit which it will be 1 inch size and run #6 THHN/THWN conductors you will need X amout of feet in black and red and white and of course green.

The other thing I want to give you a head up some main lug or main breaker box do not have seperated ground bussbar and you will have to get it they are only couple bucks and make sure you isolated the netural bussbar by not useing the bonding jumper or green bonding screw which they will provide ya in the breaker box.

The THHN/THWN conductors they are good for 60 amp without any issue however if you go with UF { underground feeder } route the #6 UF is restricted to 55 amp IIRC if the charts is correct.

But if you use the Alum conductors the bet is off it will have diffrent size compared to copper as I mention above.

Merci,Marc