DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Metal wire staples vs. Plastic wire staples (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/metal-wire-staples-vs-plastic-wire-staples-38521/)

tripower 02-17-2009 05:29 AM

Metal wire staples vs. Plastic wire staples
 
What are the advantages (and disadvantages) of Metal wire staples vs. Plastic wire staples and when and where do you use either one?

Bob Mariani 02-17-2009 05:47 AM

Both are used with Romex. But in many areas the plastic ones are the only ones allowed by local codes. NEC allows either. The idea is the plastic allows a buffer against romex sheathing and does not place as much pressure on the wire. With BX use the metal staples. might want to check local building department for what is code in your area.

47_47 02-17-2009 07:02 AM

Both are allowed in my area for romex. I use the metal ones 95% of the time (cheaper) and use the plastic ones in hard to get places.

InPhase277 02-17-2009 09:21 AM

Plastic staples are used almost always the sign of a DIY. Pros almost invariable use metal staples.

tripower 02-17-2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InPhase277 (Post 231699)
Plastic staples are used almost always the sign of a DIY. Pros almost invariable use metal staples.

You know I was getting ready to suggest just that. The electricians who did my addition used metal staples. But in every DIY book I have seen they use plastic staples. Do electricians look down on plastic staples? And what do you think about metal staples with metal staples with a rubberized coating on the heads?

InPhase277 02-17-2009 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tripower (Post 232042)
You know I was getting ready to suggest just that. The electricians who did my addition used metal staples. But in every DIY book I have seen they use plastic staples. Do electricians look down on plastic staples? And what do you think about metal staples with metal staples with a rubberized coating on the heads?


I wouldn't say look down, but you definitely know who did the job when you see plastic staples. It makes no difference as long as the job is done right. Same goes for the rubber coated staples, makes no difference.

Scuba_Dave 02-17-2009 08:55 PM

I've never even seen a plastic staple

Reilley 02-17-2009 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave (Post 232058)
I've never even seen a plastic staple

Me neither... heard of them but I haven't seen them around here (ON Canada), not in a home or on the shelf.

Bob Mariani 02-18-2009 05:09 AM

I was talking about metal stables with the blue plastic insert. These are code in CT for romex.

Scuba_Dave 02-18-2009 09:30 AM

Ah, in that case I haven't seen a staple without the plastic insert (4 sale)
I thought they were required around here

Bob Mariani 02-18-2009 09:53 AM

They are, but not everywhere. Use them in CO and now in CT.. But found out that in MD and DE they did not know they even existed.

rovers1973 02-18-2009 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reilley (Post 232071)
Me neither... heard of them but I haven't seen them around here (ON Canada), not in a home or on the shelf.

Never seen any plastic ones used out here in BC etiher......always metal, even for DIY stuff.

Scuba_Dave 02-18-2009 03:48 PM

I just checked, MA requires insulated staples on smaller then 8 awg, unless driven by a staple gun

tripower 02-18-2009 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave (Post 232058)
I've never even seen a plastic staple


Here ya go:

http://www.idealindustries.com/produ...le_staples.jsp

chris75 02-18-2009 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Mariani (Post 232151)
I was talking about metal stables with the blue plastic insert. These are code in CT for romex.


You got a code reference in mind? They are not code in Connecticut I can tell you that.

Also, Bob is talking about Briscon Staples. Very common for New England.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved