Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 06:15 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 137
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Default

Metal Sheeth wire (extension cord)


I have approx 100 feet of metal sheeth wire (red/white/black/ground) that is buried in a pipe under ground from house to a shed.

There is nothing connected on either end.

What I would like to is put a plug inside of the shed. On the other end I would like to simply put a grounded male plug end so I can plug that into my GFI outdoor plug.

This will give me electricity in my shed (for a simple light, etc) But it also makes it simple if I want to disconnect.

Can you get a 3 prong male plug end that will allow me to hook up the red/white/black/ground to it?

fjacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:56 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 123
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Metal Sheeth wire (extension cord)


Your idea is completely illegal for many reasons.

My first question is what type of pipe is this cable in? Second, can you pull the cable out, will it move or is it stuck in the pipe?

Macro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 137
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Metal Sheeth wire (extension cord)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Macro View Post
Your idea is completely illegal for many reasons.

My first question is what type of pipe is this cable in? Second, can you pull the cable out, will it move or is it stuck in the pipe?
Wire is in there pretty good, and its in 1/2" black flex pipe.

What are the illegal reasons?
fjacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:05 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 123
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Metal Sheeth wire (extension cord)


Quote:
Originally Posted by fjacky View Post
Wire is in there pretty good, and its in 1/2" black flex pipe.
What type of pipe is it? Irrigation? Gas?
Quote:
What are the illegal reasons?
Too many to list. Just about every aspect of this installation would be wrong.

The wire.
The pipe.
The male cord end.
The lack of a proper feeder with OCPD.
The lack of a disconnect.
The lack of proper grounding (this is up in the air, depends on how much current you would be putting thru the illegal wire).
Etc.

I don't see any part of this installation that would actually be code compliant, lol.

Last edited by Macro; 05-29-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Macro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 137
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Metal Sheeth wire (extension cord)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Macro View Post
What type of pipe is it? Irrigation? Gas?


Too many to list. Just about every aspect of this installation would be wrong.

The wire.
The pipe.
The male cord end.
The lack of a proper feeder with OCPD.
The lack of a disconnect.
The lack of proper grounding (this is up in the air, depends on how much current you would be putting thru the illegal wire).
Etc.

I don't see any part of this installation that would actually be code compliant, lol.
Its basic irrigation pipe. The only thing I will be using out in shed will be a light and maybe a radio. I figured instead of having an extension cord laid out over the back yard grass, this would be just as good.
fjacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:28 AM   #6
Licensed Electrician
 
k_buz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 4,340
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Metal Sheeth wire (extension cord)


You would have been better off running an extension cord underground (that that its legal either).
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:32 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 123
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Metal Sheeth wire (extension cord)


Quote:
Originally Posted by fjacky View Post
Its basic irrigation pipe. The only thing I will be using out in shed will be a light and maybe a radio. I figured instead of having an extension cord laid out over the back yard grass, this would be just as good.
It's a bad idea for all the reasons I mentioned and more.

That horrible, illegal, and unsafe installation can't be justified by comparison to the use of an extension cord.
Macro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:41 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 137
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Metal Sheeth wire (extension cord)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Macro View Post
It's a bad idea for all the reasons I mentioned and more.

That horrible, illegal, and unsafe installation can't be justified by comparison to the use of an extension cord.
I'm not trying to justify it. The wire and pipe is already there and I figured instead of using an extension cord I would use the current piped wire as an extension cord instead.

Not trying to be rude, just wondering what the difference is. It's not a permanent solution...just a way to get a light out there when needed. Wouldn't the GFI plug trip if there was any issues?
fjacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #9
Member
 
Code05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Easton MD
Posts: 1,841
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Metal Sheeth wire (extension cord)


1. What code cycle are you on or what is your location?

2 What is the burial depth of this cable?

3. Is this AC or MC cable?
Code05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:47 AM   #10
Member
 
Code05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Easton MD
Posts: 1,841
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Metal Sheeth wire (extension cord)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Macro View Post
What type of pipe is it? Irrigation? Gas?


Too many to list. Just about every aspect of this installation would be wrong.

The wire.
The pipe.
The male cord end.
The lack of a proper feeder with OCPD.
The lack of a disconnect.
The lack of proper grounding (this is up in the air, depends on how much current you would be putting thru the illegal wire).
Etc.

I don't see any part of this installation that would actually be code compliant, lol.
Actually depending on the questions I just asked, it could be done with a few modifications to the plan.
Code05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 123
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Metal Sheeth wire (extension cord)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Code05 View Post
Actually depending on the questions I just asked, it could be done with a few modifications to the plan.
As I mentioned, I am not seeing any part of his installation method that would be compliant.

He can't put a cord end on MC or AC. He can't feed the separate structure from a receptacle. He needs a disconnect in the garage. He may need a grounding system dependent on how he ends up feeding it, etc.

And that's all ignoring the fact that he has MC or AC buried in irrigation pipe.
Macro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 123
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Metal Sheeth wire (extension cord)


Quote:
Originally Posted by fjacky View Post
I'm not trying to justify it.
After I mentioned all the reasons why it was wrong, it seemed like you were trying to justify it by comparing it to using an extension cord.

Quote:
The wire and pipe is already there and I figured instead of using an extension cord I would use the current piped wire as an extension cord instead.
There are a lot of shortcuts we can take. Some of them are against code, in your case it's almost all against code.
Quote:
Not trying to be rude
You haven't been rude. And I hope you haven't taken anything that I said as rude, because that was not my intent.
Quote:
Wouldn't the GFI plug trip if there was any issues?
No, absolutely not. A GFCI will protect you in only a few instances, it's not an all-encompassing device that will protect you from everything. Breakers and proper, code complaint installation methods will be your best bet at protecting you and your family.

I'm eager to see what Code05 says, maybe there is something that I am missing. However, even if you can get away with using the current wiring, it will still require many changes to your plan.

Last edited by Macro; 05-29-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Macro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #13
Member
 
Code05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Easton MD
Posts: 1,841
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Metal Sheeth wire (extension cord)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Macro View Post
As I mentioned, I am not seeing any part of his installation method that would be compliant.

He can't put a cord end on MC or AC. He can't feed the separate structure from a receptacle. He needs a disconnect in the garage. He may need a grounding system dependent on how he ends up feeding it, etc.

And that's all ignoring the fact that he has MC or AC buried in irrigation pipe.
If the OP in still on 2005 this can be done.

MC was allowed to be direct buried in 2005. The pipe is just a sleeve, does not have to be conduit.

If the depth is at least 12" and GFCI protection is provided at the house through hard wire connection, and we make this XX/3 a MWBC.

Disconnect can be a 2 pole switch and no GES is needed.

I said we would have to make modifications to the plan.
Code05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #14
Licensed Electrician
 
k_buz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 4,340
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Metal Sheeth wire (extension cord)


There is a caveat to that tho, the MC would have to be listed to be direct buried and it would have to be impervious to moisture.
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 123
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Metal Sheeth wire (extension cord)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Code05 View Post
If the OP in still on 2005 this can be done.

MC was allowed to be direct buried in 2005. The pipe is just a sleeve, does not have to be conduit.

If the depth is at least 12" and GFCI protection is provided at the house through hard wire connection, and we make this XX/3 a MWBC.

Disconnect can be a 2 pole switch and no GES is needed.

I said we would have to make modifications to the plan.
As k_buz said, that buried MC idea is most likely not going to work.

Even if it did, you would have to change more of the plan than you would keep, which was my original point.

I'm wondering about something, can you sleeve direct burial cable in anything that you want?

Macro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 wire to 3 wire plug on an extention cord. thomas herbert Electrical 3 04-19-2012 01:54 PM
shop light to switch to extension cord suthernkumfert Electrical 9 05-30-2010 07:07 PM
Metal wire staples vs. Plastic wire staples tripower Electrical 14 02-18-2009 05:23 PM
Air Compressor stopped working, extension cord was used. dawho1 Tools 3 10-07-2008 05:14 AM
Do I have a 30 amp or 70 amp welder. And help wireing it. Tmb9862 Electrical 17 12-04-2006 09:21 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.