Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Metal outlet box in attic space grounding

I have an unfinished attic space I am going to run a new leg to for an electical outlet in the attic... already have this setup to be an AFCI breaker since it is an attic space, 12 gauge wire on a 20 amp circuit to a single gang metal box.

Do you have to bond the ground wire to the metal box or is going to the outlet grounding screw only enough since it technically grounds the metal tabs you screw to the box also?

Any other code issues I might need to account for in adding a single outlet to an attic space?

thanks!

House Information: Build 1996, 1500 sq ft basement, 1500 sq ft 1st floor, 800 sq ft 2nd floor, 560 sq ft unfinished attic space on 2nd floor. Insulation: Attic blown fiberglass, walls R-19, Basement R-19. HVAC: Trane xc95m fully modulating furnace, single zone, Trane XL20i commiunicating AC unit, TCONT900 Communicating thermostat.
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBSH
I have an unfinished attic space I am going to run a new leg to for an electical outlet in the attic... already have this setup to be an AFCI breaker since it is an attic space, 12 gauge wire on a 20 amp circuit to a single gang metal box.

Do you have to bond the ground wire to the metal box or is going to the outlet grounding screw only enough since it technically grounds the metal tabs you screw to the box also?

Any other code issues I might need to account for in adding a single outlet to an attic space?

thanks!
Black to brass screw of receptacle

White to silver screw of receptacle

Ground first wired to a grounding screw connected to metal box, then to the ground terminal of the receptacle

Old 11-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
Licensed electrician

The box needs to be bonded independently of the device. The mounting screws do not count as a bonding means for the box.
jrclen (11-03-2012)
Old 11-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
Licensed Electrician

If it is truly a single receptacle outlet alone on a 20 amp circuit, you must use a 20 amp receptacle. If it is a duplex receptacle, you can use a 15 amp receptacle.

Tags
attic, electrical wiring