DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Metal 3 Gang Box with Romex

3K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  heyjoe91 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have a 3 gang metal box with two BX cables and now two Romex wires. The box is mounted in plaster so I am really trying not to take it out. I bought the 1/2 inch plastic clamps to lock the romex into the metal box but the holes are tiny. I can't find any hardware store that has anything smaller than 3/8. To follow code I want to make sure the wire is secure in the box so that it doesn't strain the conneciton. Also I am concerned that the sharp edges on the metal box could cut into the romex. Any idea how to fix this without removing the box? Thanks.

#9 ·
heyjoe91 said:
Can I ask why someone doesn't publish an easy to read NEC code book? We need like NEC code for dummies. I am not licensed but I like to follow code when doing my own work in my house. The NEC books are a little to much for a regular guy like me.
I agree. Something with all the bs filtered out.....well I guess lawyers will probably ensure that doesn't get published.

#14 ·
I agree with all of you that the NEC code is not meant for DIY people and I don't blame them for writing it almost in code. What I was suggesting is a simple code book for basic electrical work that the average person does on their own. We all know that homeowners do a lot of their own electric so why not at least help them stay safe and to code.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.