DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Measuring 240v, 4 wire curcuit? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/measuring-240v-4-wire-curcuit-173920/)

jclee 03-08-2013 01:39 PM

Measuring 240v, 4 wire curcuit?
 
Can I measure 240v on my meter? I can only get 120v, however, I do get 120 from each hot wire. I'm thinking this is right?

rjniles 03-08-2013 01:44 PM

If you are measuring 120 from each hot to ground or neutral, but not 240 across the 2 hots, you have a problem.

The circuit is wired wrong or one leg is open and you are measing one side back thru the load.

jclee 03-08-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjniles
If you are measuring 120 from each hot to ground or neutral, but not 240 across the 2 hots, you have a problem.

The circuit is wired wrong or one leg is open and you are measing one side back thru the load.

I'm getting 120v from black to ground/neural and 120v from red to ground/neutral

I have not measured between black and red. I didn't think you could measure 2 hots together

Speedy Petey 03-08-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jclee (Post 1132523)
I have not measured between black and red. I didn't think you could measure 2 hots together

THAT is your 240V.

rjniles 03-08-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jclee (Post 1132523)
I'm getting 120v from black to ground/neural and 120v from red to ground/neutral

I have not measured between black and red. I didn't think you could measure 2 hots together

As Speedy says, that is the only way you will measure 240.

dmxtothemax 03-08-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jclee (Post 1132523)
I'm getting 120v from black to ground/neural and 120v from red to ground/neutral

I have not measured between black and red. I didn't think you could measure 2 hots together

If both phases originate from the one hot line,
then you will measure nothing or close to it !

But if they come from different hot lines,
then you will measure 220 - 240v.

So yes you can measure across two hot lines !
Be very carefull, the mother of all bites awaits the unwary !
Death shortly after.
*CAUTION*


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved