Measure Amps - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2009, 05:13 PM   #1
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

Measure Amps

Is there a way to measure amps with a Digital RMS multimeter without a clamp? I have a Ideal True RMS 361.

Jamie

Advertisement

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Measure Amps

you can usually get an add on clamp that plugs into the same lead terminals as the probes do.

Advertisement

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:18 PM   #3

Measure Amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
Is there a way to measure amps with a Digital RMS multimeter without a clamp? I have a Ideal True RMS 361.

Jamie
By measuring the mV across
a real shunt made of Constantan, or, possibly, Nichrome, or
across a few feet of copper wire. The temperature coefficient of resistance for copper is not too bad.

You can also use coat hanger wire as a 20A or 30A shunt but the resistance changes so much with heating that you need a lookup table to approx. the true value of current.

You can also make a shunt by paralleling many cheap power resistors from Hosfelt.com. That's how I made 0.1 and .01 ohm shunts. Sometimes you can get these resistors for a few cents each.

Having blown out my meter's 0.5A internal fuse (for the 200mA range) a few times, I'd definitely go with a shunt.

For elec. troubleshooting, it also doesn't hurt to have a 100 ohm, 100w resistor, or equiv. I got mine for free at a Hamfest.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 01-17-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:35 PM   #4
Electrician

Measure Amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
across a few feet of copper wire. The temperature coefficient of resistance for copper is not too bad.

You can also use coat hanger wire as a 20A or 30A shunt but the resistance changes so much with heating that you need a lookup table to approx. the true value of current.

You can also make a shunt by paralleling many cheap power resistors from Hosfelt.com. That's how I made 0.1 and .01 ohm shunts. Sometimes you can get these resistors for a few cents each.

Having blown out my meter's 0.5A internal fuse (for the 200mA range) a few times, I'd definitely go with a shunt.

For elec. troubleshooting, it also doesn't hurt to have a 100 ohm, 100w resistor, or equiv. I got mine for free at a Hamfest.

because we all know buying the right equipment is way to hard and safe....
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:47 PM   #5

Measure Amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
because we all know buying the right equipment is way to hard and safe....
Since I tried to blow the whistle on my Fed. Gov. employer, I have a lot of time on my hands and not too much money in my hands. . .

I can't see paying for some of this stuff if you can make it out of junk box parts and it works just as well, for household applications.

BTW, with all due respect, it's ". . .way too hard. . ."

Last edited by Yoyizit; 01-17-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:49 PM   #6
Electrician

Measure Amps

Quote:
Since I tried to blow the whistle on my Fed. Gov. employer, I have a lot of time on my hands and not too much money in my hands. . .

I can't see paying for some of this stuff if you can make it out of junk box parts and it works just as well.

With all due respect, it's ". . .way too hard. . ."

You know I love ya!
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:52 PM   #7
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 504
Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

Measure Amps

Quote:
Is there a way to measure amps with a Digital RMS multimeter without a clamp? I have a Ideal True RMS 361.Jamie
You most likely can but with most meters, mine especially, it's 10 amps max, and your leads need to be in series with the load. I wouldn't aatempt to measure amperage with my meter unless I was ina process control environment and I'm just trying to test 4-20mA.

And if you forget to change the location back and go to test voltage, hopefully it's fuse protected. from personal experience of course.( I always have a box of fuses for my 787, CRS ya know)
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:11 PM   #8

Measure Amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
You know I love ya!
That's OK if your name is Christine. . .
Old 01-17-2009, 06:38 PM   #9
nap
You talking to me?

Measure Amps

Ideal actually sells the 361 with a clamp on meter accessory. Together they come under the model number 61-363. That is a combo of the 61-361 meter and a 61-450 clamp. Capacity is 300 AAC. Not sure if the other smaller capacity accessories would work but I see no reason they wouldn't. Check with an Ideal dealer to be sure.

for some reason I am having trouble with Ideal's website and cannot look for the answer.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:45 PM   #10
DIY'er

Measure Amps

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions. You always have a lot of neat ideas that I would love to try when I have a bit more time. :-)

I did find some of the clamps on the web as nap suggested, all of the ones I found for this meter were over $200, yikes. I'll just buy a RMS clamp meter for well less than that.

Thanks guys for the input.

Jamie
Old 01-17-2009, 11:47 PM   #11
DIY'er

Measure Amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
Ideal actually sells the 361 with a clamp on meter accessory. Together they come under the model number 61-363. That is a combo of the 61-361 meter and a 61-450 clamp. Capacity is 300 AAC. Not sure if the other smaller capacity accessories would work but I see no reason they wouldn't. Check with an Ideal dealer to be sure.

for some reason I am having trouble with Ideal's website and cannot look for the answer.
I must have been looking at a different model. I found the part number you suggested for $50 (http://www.tequipment.net/Ideal61-450.asp).

Thanks! Do you think I am better off getting this accessory for the meter I have or buying a separate RMS clamp meter.

Thanks
Jamie
Old 01-17-2009, 11:53 PM   #12
nap
You talking to me?

Measure Amps

It depends on what your needs are. I prefer a clamp on meter but I use it frequently. The add on device is something you have to store somewhere when not used and using it means you have to plug it in (not a big deal but just one more thing). When I need to do an current check, I like having my my meter right there already.

It also makes a handy meter hook when checking other values.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:58 PM   #13
DIY'er

Measure Amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
It depends on what your needs are. I prefer a clamp on meter but I use it frequently. The add on device is something you have to store somewhere when not used and using it means you have to plug it in (not a big deal but just one more thing). When I need to do an current check, I like having my my meter right there already.

It also makes a handy meter hook when checking other values.
I've notice that. I have a cheap $15 harbor freight clamp meter, but I just don't trust that it is that accurate. But I wonder how much difference there would be between the harbor freight meter and a RMS meter.

Jamie
Old 01-18-2009, 12:06 AM   #14
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Measure Amps

Quote:
I've notice that. I have a cheap $15 harbor freight clamp meter, but I just don't trust that it is that accurate. But I wonder how much difference there would be between the harbor freight meter and a RMS meter.

Jamie
You can buy a Greenlee clamp on ammeter for around $60.

Advertisement

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote