DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   MC vs AC and romex quick question (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/mc-vs-ac-romex-quick-question-170599/)

jhack836 01-30-2013 07:06 PM

MC vs AC and romex quick question
 
i have metal boxes in my house from 1971 with 14-2 AC. i have added 14-2 romex to the switches and everything is grounded. can i use MC to add a feed to a new metal box that i had to install for a switch or should i just go buy AC? thanks

brric 01-30-2013 07:12 PM

MC cable has a green, insulated equipment grounding conductor within the jacket. Use the MC.

jhack836 01-30-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brric (Post 1105966)
MC cable has a green, insulated equipment grounding conductor within the jacket. Use the MC.

ok so ac and mc are pretty much the same except mc actually has a grounding wire in it instead of the bare wire that you wrap around or clamp to the armor?

brric 01-30-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhack836 (Post 1106058)
ok so ac and mc are pretty much the same except mc actually has a grounding wire in it instead of the bare wire that you wrap around or clamp to the armor?

Yes. The armor is the grounding means with AC. The internal conductor in MC is the grounding means.

jhack836 01-30-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brric (Post 1106072)
Yes. The armor is the grounding means with AC. The internal conductor in MC is the grounding means.

why do they even make 2 different things if they are so close in similarity anyway?

frenchelectrican 01-31-2013 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhack836 (Post 1106078)
why do they even make 2 different things if they are so close in similarity anyway?

They do look simauir but the bottom line is properly grounded or bonded as some peoples will say that.

The AC cable is not too bad for me to use but you have to be carefull which type of fitting ( connector ) to the metal box this part you can NOT use plastique boxes without bonding jumper on it.

The MC cable is much easier to use and it can use little more variation of fittings without issue. You can use with plastique box (warning.,, please check with your local/state code related to this part some may say no. Only metal boxes with AC cables ) but majorty of my time I use metal boxes without issue.

And the AC cable you will have to use the antishorting bushing on it ( some of electricians will call them red devil or others name for it ) but with MC genrally it don't need antishorting bushing due it do have plastique overwrap in it. but got a habit of doing it.

Merci,
Marc

jhack836 01-31-2013 05:59 AM

i probably only would use ac or mc with metal boxes because that seems like a better idea with metal on metal. ac or mc with plastic boxes doesnt make any sense to me in a good grounding stand point anyway

J. V. 01-31-2013 11:17 AM

Why not just use NM as you have for the switches?

jhack836 01-31-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J. V. (Post 1106382)
Why not just use NM as you have for the switches?

i could, i just the armor cable with the metal boxes instead of the nm in metal box


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved