DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   MC cable question (

PirateKatz 01-15-2009 08:32 AM

MC cable question
I'm in the process of repairing years of shoddy electrical work in my house. In my garage, the previous homeowner used a mix of NM and MC cable.

I have a question regarding how MC should be connected to junction boxes. The way it's currently done just doesn't look right (and I'm sure it isn't)...

Currently, the metal sheath is terminated just before the electrical box and the internal wires are held in place by a NM cable clamp as they enter the box. Is there a specific clamp to actually attach the metal sheath directly to the box? If so, what is it called?


joed 01-15-2009 08:42 AM

The cable should be clamped on the outer metal sheath. Sounds like the wrong boxes were used. Probably used boxes for NM cable with the built in clamps. Should have used the boxes with knockouts so the proper clamps could installed.
Clamp grabs the out jacket of all types of cables.

J. V. 01-15-2009 10:29 AM

NEC 2005 article:
330.40 Boxes and Fitting. Fittings used for connecting
Type MC cable to boxes, cabinets, or other equipment shall
be listed and identified for such use.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1