Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2005, 09:25 AM   #1

Share |

material prices

As an electrician, do you frown on using material the customer provides ?

Im talking about standard items, standard brands, in obvious good functioning condition. (perhaps a case of receptacles or boxes of #12)

Is material a place where some profits are derived ?

would small outfit be different from a big fleet electricial group ?

coax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 09:44 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

material prices

The only customer supplied items I install are lights and fans. How can you warrenty an item if you did not buy it?

jbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 05:23 PM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

material prices

Fixtures are always customer resopnsibility. Unless it's recessed cans.

Small quantities of material, such as like you mentioned, I would use to help them get rid of it.
If they offer to buy all the material, NO WAY.

As jbfan said,if something goes wrong the customer will still want you to replace it free.
Yes, ther is a small markup. This is mostly to cover all the behind the scenes work done apart from actual on the job time. Many folks think our time is not worth anything unless we are right in front of them. Either we make a small profit on material or rates go up. The time, gas, insurance, ink, computers, etc., used in getting material has to be compensated from somewhere.
I am not one who makes a lot on material. I do know some guys who do mark material way up. I'd rather make all my overhead back plus a small amount. Lots of folks go to Lowes and HD anyway and they love to tell us how much they can get the stuff for.

Also, there is the PIA factor. The customer will never get everything we need to do a job. At least in the right amounts. We use lots of material. If I have a box of receptacles left over big deal. They'll get used in short order.
If I have to tell the customer every little thing I need the job would take twice as long.
I believe "Penny wise & pound foolish" applies here.