Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Master Bath wiring help

We are remodeling the master bath, which was completely gutted and all of the old wiring was removed. I ran 2 new 12/2 wires from the main panel which will go on their own 20A breakers. My intention was to use one for outlets and the other for electric floor heat. I also ran a new 6/2 wire for steam shower generator. All new wires are not yet hooked up at the panel and I am planning on hiring an electrician for that portion.

Existing wires which were fed back into the bath are

20A GFCI breaker 10/2 for the whirlpool

Two 20A breakers 12/3 wire - This is the one I was planning on using for the lights, although I didn't realize it was what I guess is called a branch circuit.

Questions:

1. The two existing 20A breakers can be swiched separately. I think this is now against code. How do I fix that?

2. Once and if the breakers are fixed, can I use that 12/3 wire for general bathroom lighting and if so, what do I do with the extra wire/circuit? Can I just cap it in the J-box (It will not have drywall over it)

3. If I can use 12/3, and should also the other side of the circuit, can/should I wire exhaust fans to it?

4. I need to wire lights in the shower, above the vanity, and above the tub. My understanding is that they need to be on GFCI. Can I wire them to the GFCI receptacle circuit?

The pic below shows the two J-boxes where I brought power into the room. The thick cable on the right is the steam shower geerator wire

Last edited by BimmerRacer; 08-17-2009 at 10:27 AM.
BimmerRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:25 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,504

Master Bath wiring help

You CAN NOT 14/2 wire for 20 amp circuit.
Use the 12/3 on a double pole breaker (not a mini or tandem) or get a handle tie to lock the two existing breakers together as one to supply the power for the light and receptacles(2 circuits). This is called a multiwire branch circuit.
You can install the fans on either lighting or receptacle circuit.
The light over the tub must be GFCI. The others over the vanity are not required to be but can be. I don't recommend it because if you trip the GFCI the light will be out if you do. They can be wired off the LOAD side of the receptacle.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:27 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Master Bath wiring help

Sorry, typed it wrong. They are 12/2 wires, the yellow ones in the picture above

So, would this be to code?

Last edited by BimmerRacer; 08-17-2009 at 10:54 AM.
BimmerRacer is offline   Reply With Quote