Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #1

Share |
manual trans switch generator feed

I removed a feed in a panel to a back fed breaker from a generator and installed a 10 circuit manual transfer switch in place of the breaker. This is all good, the problem I have, is there was a 10-3 w/ ground romex cable that was feeding the breaker (now feeding the 30 amp transfer switch), the nm cable was run according to code to a remote twistlock in the garage. The home owner wants the cable to be connected through the 30 amp twistlock in the front of the transfer switch. If the cable was hardwired, no question, but, is the twist lock connection a valid connection for the nm cable? I don't believe the type of connection changes the nm cable to a cord piercing the ceilings or walls. It's the code violation (or not) with the connection I'm trying to find a yea or nay on in the code book. If anyone knows the article please respond. And yes just hard wiring it would take a lot less time than all this, but I would like to read the reason in the book. Thanks

dconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
Master Electrician

The NM should be run to a box and connected to a flanged inlet mounted to the box.

brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Are you talking about this type of transfer switch?

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:41 AM   #4

A Romex (NM) cable may not be loose with a plug on the end for non-temporary wiring. The wires inside are solid and can take less flexing befoer they break.

Right now you have the transfer switch box hard wired to a branch circuit that provides uitility power. The flanged inlet (flanged male receptacle) already on the transfer switch unit is used to attach an extension cord to the generator.

Optionally you could have a non-portable generator hard wired to a box on the wall. A Romex or conduit hard wires that box to the transfer switch. Here you use the inlet on the transfer switch to run an extension cord to a 120/240 volt (female) receptacle elsewhere on the wall for utility power.

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-19-2011 at 08:46 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #5

I ended up calling the inspector for the area, and she cited a article that said connectors must be used for the purpose intended. The house wiring connection with a cord cap won,t work. I,m sure there are other articles. I ended up hard wiring it anyway. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!
Old 02-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #6

the picture is close. my switch had round meters. Connecticut Electric 10 circuit, (same I think). the one with no knockouts and says that says if you break the seal to get inside the warranty is void. Thanks again for the responses!