Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
Handyman

Share |

mandatory auxilliary fan switch?

Well, I ran into another house in a new development with a similar situation. Both houses have a switch located in the dining room about 3 ft. from the floor. The first house (this was last year) had the switch and nobody could figure out what it was for. By sheer chance we found it activated the upstairs ensuite fan. Ok, weird enough. This house has the same set up...again 3 ft. from the floor and activates the fan in the upstairs ensuite.

The customer was told by the builder that he is obliged to install these in the event of a gas leak. Is this really a code? In Canada OR the US? Her neighbours don't have this and I have been to many new homes without it as well.

I am trying to figure the logistics as to what she was told. If you suspect a gas leak, I would think the last thing you would do is turn on a switch of any kind. Also, opening a window just makes more sense, or leaving entirely and calling the FD.
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
" Euro " electrician

If I Recall it correct in the USA I really doubt about with that switch set up and I don't actally run into like that in USA and France at all.

However., for gaz leak very simple open the window and call the Département de Feu { Fire Department }

And you can able check with your local building officals for latest info with the code with this issue.

And I know from my experance some airtight house they will have automatique air exchanger so either any exhaust fan or furnace kick on it will come on so somewhere in the house there will be aux fan relay to kick the air exchange unit.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:00 PM   #3
Handyman

Merci Marc.

This is a manual decora switch...looks like a regular light switch. Being 3 ft from the floor I am figuring its for a child's access. Like the CDN government, its there, seems logical in a way, but ultimately serves no real purpose other than an added cost.

I hope Andrew reads this. He might be familiar with this and has seen it since he is in Toronto, but anyone from the states ever heard of it?
Old 08-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
Electrician

I've never heard of it.

What is an ensuite?
Old 08-11-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
Wire Chewer

I'm in Canada and I never heard of this either. In fact, the last thing you want is gas fumes being sucked through a fan, because the motor of that fan may be causing small sparks if it's a brush motor, then KA BOOM. Opening a window, not touching anything electrical or metal is probably the best bet, then calling the FD, or if you can, shut off the gas outside and don't open it till the leak can be found.

There would still be gas left over in the line but hopefully a pilot light somewhere would burn most of it out.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
Handyman

an ensuite is a bathroom off of a bedroom, usually a master sometimes other bedrooms.

What intrigued me is that the switches were not installed in the same gang box...they purposely installed the switch a foot lower, properly wired 3 way to the ensuite fan...separate box and all. As I mentioned, its like it was meant for a child or perhaps a handicapped access.