Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2011, 08:18 AM   #1

Share |

Man I need my dad back!

My dad was an electrician and passed away. I am trying to make him proud by doing a simple task and truly failing and have no one to give me advice. Please help! Big box stores are telling me I am out of luck and to hire an electrician . I want to instal a ceiling fan. Read the directions, heavy, but easy right? Not in my house! This old thing was built in 1917 so everything turns into somthing big. Plaster ceilings. Took off all the light shades and no holes ugh....proudly bought a 4 inch bit and drilled...and drilled and drilled. I went through plaster, wood, plaster. Joints and studs in all different directions....not like normally or evenly spread apart. Its like someone just threw the house together (this is the only funny part hahaha). I went and bought the ...I think its called electrical junction box? for a ceiling fan. I got home and couldn't screw it to the 2x4s or joints. I went back and they gave me one with a sort of side brace. I happily went home but stuck it in and here is the problem...when I put it in it is not flush with the ceiling like the directions say it should be. It is like 3 inches too high! It was all that layering before I got to the ceiling. So I went back to the store and they had another solution. Yeah! Right? no. They gave me a bracket type thing that looked easy to install to hang a box from. But the bracket thing is for 16-24 inches. Remember all of my wood is oddly placed. The ost space I have in one spot is about 7 inches They said those are the 2 choices. There has to be a way to fix it. Dad would. Can anyone help? Thanks SOOOO much!

eokhuijzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
DIY staff

Man I need my dad back!

Post a picture! Antique houses always require a bit of inventive thinking.

Pictures will help----once the box is installed---what kind of wiring do you have?---Mike---

Old 04-17-2011, 05:18 PM   #3

Man I need my dad back!

A pic is worth a thousand words! Do you have access to it from above?

I know what you mean, but the internet has given me the Dad, Uncles, and older brothers I no longer have. It's a dysfunctional family, I know cause I'm in it.
JIm 0311
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
Licensed electrician

Man I need my dad back!

Given that amount of depth you may be able to add some wood to frame the box downward so it sits flush.