Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2010, 10:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Malibu transformer installed inside, is this wrong?

We just had an electrician install 9 landscape lights and 5 "up" lights. He used a 600W Malibu transformer with a dial timer, from Home Depot. The lights came on when expected, stayed on 30 minutes then shut off. I reset the timer and the same thing happened, 30 min. on, shut off. What do you think is happening?

In the course of doing an internet investigation, I found the manual for the transformer we have. The manual states the transformer is ONLY to be used outside. Ours was installed in the basement, next to our circuit breaker boxes. The electrician drilled a hole in the side of the house and ran the wires to the transformer in the basement. Is my house going to catch fire?

I will call my electrician Monday (unless you think it warrants a Sunday call) to address these issues but in the meantime, I'd like to learn more. Thanks!

Last edited by walkdmc; 10-02-2010 at 10:15 PM.
walkdmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

well, if they turn off every 30 minutes, it sounds like you have a 30 minute timer.

if it isn't quite as accurate as you say, the transformer could be overloaded and some sort of cut out is tripping.

how long are the wires from the transformer to the first light and then, how long in the light string? You typically want the transformer as close to the lights as possible as the lower voltage after the transformer is affected much more in terms of voltage drop due wire resistance (length effects this directly)

I do not believe you have an immediate safety hazard as long as you do not use the lights.

do you know what the wattages are of each of the lights?

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks!

I'd say the farthest light is about 15 feet from where it enters the house, then travels another 6 feet or so to the box. I don't know the wattage of the landscape lights (there are 9) but the up lights are 50W each (x5).

The timer is set by us. The guy set it for 6pm to 10pm. After it shut off, we set it again, from 8pm to 12am. Both times it shut off about 30 min. later.

I'm in PA. Do you know if it's commonplace for these transformer boxes to be installed inside homes? I'm wondering why the manuf. would recommend it only for outdoor use?
walkdmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:10 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

I was just kidding about the timer.

Quote:
I'd say the farthest light is about 15 feet from where it enters the house, then travels another 6 feet or so to the box. I don't know the wattage of the landscape lights (there are 9) but the up lights are 50W each (x5).
do you mean the closest light? I went to their site for a minute and saw something about no lights within 10 feet of the transformer.

as to the wattage of the other lights, maybe you could find them on their site:

http://www.malibulights.com/home.aspx

The further under 600 watts total you are the better but you should be able to have up to the 600 mark without overloading.

this is one of the FAQ's from their site that sounds like it might be applicable:
Quote:
Quote:
We just installed two sets of Malibu low voltage landscape lighting floodlights. They come on with the timer but after an hour or so, they go off for 40 minutes or so, then come back on and continue this pattern.
There could be a minor short at the end of the cable, i.e., one conductor strand touching the other. However, since it is happening on both systems, it is unlikely that it happened twice. A quick test would be to unhook one light on each power pack (or take the bulb out). If the power pack still cycles, then it could be a short
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:32 AM   #5
" Euro " electrician

How many Low voltage circuits did the electrician did ran on that ?? and I know the code is restriceted to 300 watts each { 25 amp } on secondary side.

If he ran in single circuit then there is your issue.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:42 AM   #6

I ran a transformer for yard lights for 7 years at my last house
It was in the house, never had a problem
I've been using one inside at this house for maybe a year now
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:44 AM   #7
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,450

As a minimum your electrician should have followed the instructions and installed the transformer outside. You are supposed to follow any instructions provided. Also the cable is not for in-wall use.