Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2011, 07:14 PM   #1

Share |

making string lights

I want to make a few sets of string lights, something that looks substantial.
I wanted to know if there is anything i should know or consider before i start. I am going to buy some waterproof lamp sockets and some lead. I have a few outlets in the back and plan on plugging them in directly and using a timer. I am definitely a beginner.

dad1166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:10 PM   #2

making string lights

Are these walnut sized Christmas tree style lights, miniature pencil eraser sized Christmas tree lights, standard light bulbs, or "rope" lights inside a flexible transparent plastic tube?

Standard light bulbs can shatter if they are hung outdoors and rain gets on them when they are turned on.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:15 PM   #3

making string lights

Standard bulbs, maybe ill buy some outdoor bulbs. I have a few dollars to spend on this project
Old 07-31-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

making string lights

You can buy a nice set of string lights at an electrical supply house. Probably not more than $40 for a 10 light string.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:19 PM   #5

making string lights

I need a few 20 ft strands and I want to make it myself just for fun
Old 08-01-2011, 06:44 AM   #6

making string lights

You will need to use wire nuts or similar clamping devices to make the connections. Do not rely on the wire nuts to support the weight of the string.

Often knots are tied in the wires "of the string" to provide mechanical (physical) support. Then the actual connections with wire nuts don't get pulled on. This is for temporary use only because over time the insulation in the knots will wear through. Also the temporary nature of this arrangement forgives the unattractive appearance of the knotted wires. Another alternative is using a rope to provide support and wrap the wires around the rope not too tightly (or use cable ties).

Chances are it will take many hours of labor to make something that looks as good as the string of work lights you can buy for the $40. mentioned previously.

Last edited by AllanJ; 08-01-2011 at 06:47 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:46 PM   #7

making string lights

There are light sockets made for this application. The base of the socked unscrews revealing 2 sharp pins. The wire is laid into a groove in the bottom of the socket and when the base is screwed back on it pushes the wire into the pins. These sockets usually have a wire hook on them for hanging. Get the right size wire, observe polarity and you should be fine. (still probably cheaper to buy the ready made set)
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:08 AM   #8
WDR

making string lights

Yes they make sockets and I have seen them at most standard hardware stores around hear for about $2.00. Look up temporary light socket to find them online.

WDR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
string lights