Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2007, 06:26 PM   #1

Share |

Making a dust collector run with a switch

Hello,

I'm having a bit of trouble making my dust collector work by using a switch.

The dust collector is 230v. I have a 3wire outlet. One gold screw on each side and a ground screw.

I also purchased a 20 amp single pole switch. I have it wired using BX 12/3

My nuetral is running back to the buss bar and I have two black wires. I tried to run the blacks and the dust collector won't turn off unless I shut it off at the breaker. I have two black wires on the switch also. What am I doing wrong that it won't break the circuit and allow the switch to become the on/off?

Thanks!

Electricnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:02 PM   #2

You said 12/3. What about the red wire? Where did you run the switch cable from? Does it go to the receptacle? I can't understand how you have connected the switch cable to the dust collector receptacle.

joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:23 PM   #3
Union HVAC Tech.

If it is 230v you don't need a neutral, you should use a two pole switch to kill power from both lines. Using a single pole switch you would still have 110 at the unit. What kind of 12/3 has two black wires?
bigMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:00 AM   #4

Hello,

I'm having a bit of trouble making my dust collector work by using a switch.

The dust collector is 230v. I have a 3wire outlet. One gold screw on each side and a ground screw.

I also purchased a 20 amp single pole switch. I have it wired using BX 12/3

My nuetral is running back to the buss bar. I have a black wire to one side and a red to the other. When I ran the black and the red, one to each side, the dust collector won't turn off unless I shut it off at the breaker. Then on the switch, I have the black to one and the red to the other screw. What do I do with the nuetral wire when it comes to the switch and the outlet sine there aren't anymore screws to attach it to except the ground screw? What am I doing wrong that it won't break the circuit and allow the switch to become the on/off?

It's a 15 amp motor. I believe a previous electrictian bi-passed the normal switching and disabled the switch on the unit itself so the toggle switch would control it. If it helps and someone could explain to me how to post pictures on here, or if you provided me your e-mail, I could send you some pics of what I have.

Thanks!

Last edited by Electricnewbie; 07-28-2007 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:27 AM   #5
Union HVAC Tech.

The two wires coming from the double pole breaker should be interupted by a two pole switch, the load side of the switch should be wired to the motor. Check the motor diagram to see that it is really wired for 230v. No pics required.
bigMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:00 AM   #6

Which screws are the load on the double pole switch to wire the black and red to it? Then, on the 3 wire/two gold-one on each side, which wire goes to which or does it not matter?

I need to be able to plug the dust collector into the 220v /3 wire outlet and then have those wires go to the double pole switch.

Thanks
Old 07-28-2007, 11:38 AM   #7

You're awesome Mike! Thank you so much! I bought the double pole, followed what you said and it works perfectly!

I still used the 3 wire outlet. I ran the two blacks from the panel and attached them to the load side of the double pole switch. From there, I ran two black wires from the line side of the double pole and connected it to the two gold screws on the 3 way 220v outlet and it works perfectly. No nuetrals were used.

Last edited by Electricnewbie; 07-28-2007 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:20 PM   #8

wow nvm problem solved

HiFi is offline   Reply With Quote