DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Making a battery powered device work with an AC/DC adapter? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/making-battery-powered-device-work-ac-dc-adapter-560/)

FlyGuy 04-25-2005 12:35 PM

Making a battery powered device work with an AC/DC adapter?
 
I have a small vault that is powered by 8 AA batteries. The vault's documentation says that the batteries are supposed to last for a year under most circumstances, but I have found that they last far less than that. Where I have the vault located, it is diffucult to use the key to open it when the batteries fail.

The manufacturer also sells a model that can be plugged into the wall after purchasing an optional AC/DC power supply from Radio Shack (P/N 273-1680-positive tip polarity with 12VDC).

The manual I have is a universal one, and it covers the vault with the AC/DC adapter as well, which is how I have the part number and such. It states for that vault that Batteries must be installed as well, and not to operate it on the external power alone.

My hope is that I can somehow convert my vault (which only has the 8 AA batteries) to accept the AC/DC adapter. I didn't realize that the batteries don't last that long until I had had the vault for a while, so I can't return it to the vendor for an exchange. I also don't want to shell out the money to purchase an additional vault, since i already have this one. Can any of you tell me how to convert this if it is possible?

bountyhunter 04-26-2005 10:01 AM

Ac/DC
 
You should be able to hook up a 12v outout adapter to the battery compartment and be fine. 8 AA batts = 12 VDC. Some people make "dummy" batts out of dowel rods and hook the adapter to the ends of it and close it all up. I have done this when building trail cameras for wildlife.

FlyGuy 05-12-2005 03:02 PM

Another question
 
Is there a way to make it work so that the batteries act as a backup in case of a power failure? (So as to not have the combination reset?)

Teetorbilt 05-12-2005 05:23 PM

Use only rechargable batteries. Regular batteries will explode. You can also install a diode into the positive side to allow it to use the AC power and regular batteries.

RHILLY 11-18-2005 06:12 PM

I Have The Same Vault/same Problem
 
I also have the same vault & the same issue with the batteries. They only last about 5-6 months. I'm going to visit my local radio shack & see if they can help. Please let me know if you find a solution.
Thanks,

RHILLY 11-22-2005 11:22 AM

I tried Radio Shack & converted from 8 (aa) batteries to 8 (D) batteries in hopes of alonger battery life,but I couldnt get it to work. I'm at the same point as you are. I either just hook up a dc to ac converter & forget about the battery backup, or i buy a new vault.
Sorry I wasnt any help.

shortie 10-25-2009 04:10 PM

Can I get the exact steps when converting a trail camera?

Gigs 10-25-2009 06:52 PM

Making the batteries act as backup is a little trickier. I would not just use rechargeable batteries in parallel as they will overcharge severely and be useless.

It is possible to get a coaxial power plug that has an extra pin for battery input, so that when you unplug the AC it switches to the batteries physically. It's a little hard to explain without pictures.

spark plug 10-25-2009 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigs (Post 345347)
Making the batteries act as backup is a little trickier. I would not just use rechargeable batteries in parallel as they will overcharge severely and be useless.

It is possible to get a coaxial power plug that has an extra pin for battery input, so that when you unplug the AC it switches to the batteries physically. It's a little hard to explain without pictures.

Why not use a DPDT Relay. When the power goes out, they'll switch over to battery power, if that's what you desire! Or a N/O relay. When the power releases the coil. it'll automatically switch over to Battery power!!! (No matter what) :drink:Don't Drink and Drive, Ever!!!

Yoyizit 10-25-2009 08:03 PM

If your AC adaptor isn't loaded down to its rated current you might get 20% overvoltage. It also puts out full-wave-rectified DC, so the equipment might not like it (a battery puts out smooth DC).

What current does the vault draw?

spark plug 10-25-2009 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoyizit (Post 345382)
If your AC adaptor isn't loaded down to its rated current you might get 20% overvoltage. It also puts out full-wave-rectified DC, so the equipment might not like it (a battery puts out smooth DC).

What current does the vault draw?

But when you add a capacitor (in parallel, 500Mf./ Maybe. I don't know what the (desired) output is) in addition to full wave rectification, you DO get a smooth DC circuit. Tried it on DC Relays. (No matter what) Don't Drink and Drive, Ever!!!
p.s: we might be admonished for getting too technical, here!

Gigs 10-26-2009 05:15 PM

It depends on the wall wart. Some of them are straight AC, some are rectified AC, some are rectified and smoothed AC, and some are even little switching power supplies these days.

spark plug 10-26-2009 07:31 PM

Clarifying some electrical/electronic terms.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigs (Post 345724)
It depends on the wall wart. Some of them are straight AC, some are rectified AC, some are rectified and smoothed AC, and some are even little switching power supplies these days.

WADR. (No. these are not the initials of a Radio Station). AC when it is rectified Whether it's Half-Wave (One side of the sine wave is blocked) or Full-Wave (Both sides are rectified or blocked) is considered to be DC. But it's "Pulsating" DC. When, in addition, it's filtered, through one or a series of Capacitors, it's considered Filtered DC. When using Pulsating DC (even on DC Relays), they will vibrate, and not work smoothly. That's where the Filter Capacitor comes in.
My apologies for posting technical stuff, but it all has practical applications, for DIY'rs.

obiwankenobi 08-12-2010 01:16 AM

Svp hddv2200
 
Hi, everyone. Well, I am not much of an Engineer, but I was reading the thread and curious if such adapter will work for this device:
SVP HDDV2200. It takes 3 AAA batteries. If it is possible, would you be so kind to provide me the steps on how to do it? I would like to use it for paranormal investigations. Your feedback would really help. Have a great day, afternoon, or evening. :thumbup:

Vorpike 11-21-2010 07:28 PM

Outout adapter?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bountyhunter (Post 2560)
You should be able to hook up a 12v outout adapter to the battery compartment and be fine. 8 AA batts = 12 VDC. Some people make "dummy" batts out of dowel rods and hook the adapter to the ends of it and close it all up. I have done this when building trail cameras for wildlife.

Do you mean "output adapter" :)? Well, isn't an output adapter another way to show images or videos from a device to T.V? Well, at least that's the things I get when I Google for it, please tell me the specific name of the adapter, your way sounds interesting.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved