Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2012, 02:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

Making another outlet?

I only have one outlet in my living room and I need another one for sure. What are some ways I can do this? There is not another outlet on the other side of the wall, we had a electrician come add a light with switch and he said something about closing off a line behind the switch box. Is it possible to re-open that line? We also have a attic which I was told at homedepot is easy to do if you have another outlet in the next room you don't use. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

MarkBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:52 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,022

Making another outlet?

Short answer is yes it can be done.

hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:20 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,374

Making another outlet?

More informion,please ---how old is the house? What type of wiring do you have?

Knob and tube----conduit---Romex ?
Old 04-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Making another outlet?

I know it can be done but how?

The house was built in the 1970's

I don't know much about wires to use or any of that.
MarkBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
Just a DIY guy

Rewards Points: 250

Making another outlet?

As a DIY guy and not an electrician, I'd suggest you buy and read a wiring book. There is too much involved for anyone to tell you step by step how to do this, which includes locating and evaluating a circuit, fishing wires, installing a box, and making the connections.

I bought and like the Black & Decker "Wiring" book, but there are loads available, your home improvement store should have a selection.

Then you can examine your wiring to see what you have. At a minimum you should have a non contact voltage tester before you start any electrical project.

If this is too much for you, please call an electrician.
M3 Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Making another outlet?

Quote:
The house was built in the 1970's
Do you have aluminum wiring?
Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
Learning Things Every Day

Rewards Points: 500

Making another outlet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Pete View Post
As a DIY guy and not an electrician, I'd suggest you buy and read a wiring book. There is too much involved for anyone to tell you step by step how to do this, which includes locating and evaluating a circuit, fishing wires, installing a box, and making the connections.

I bought and like the Black & Decker "Wiring" book, but there are loads available, your home improvement store should have a selection.

Then you can examine your wiring to see what you have. At a minimum you should have a non contact voltage tester before you start any electrical project.

This is exactly what I was going to say.

As helpful as this forum can be, there is no single post that's going to teach you electrical work from scratch without any prior experience. It's probably safe to say that anyone who can read a post here and apply that info is someone who is expanding on things they already know. Big difference.

I am by no means an electrician - not even close, but I have wired new outlets. It was actually pretty easy under my circumstances, since I have a basement to run the wire and a few empty bays in my panel to run all new wiring as opposed to tapping into existing stuff. Still, there's absolutely no way I would have attempted it without supervision, and no way I'd have the stones to risk death based solely on information I read online.

I hope it doesn't sound condescending, but your best bet is to either learn the fundamentals first, call an electrician, or both. You don't want to just give it a try and see what happens.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Making another outlet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Pete View Post

Might check a few out from the library then buy the one that works best for you. And definitely, when in doubt and at times when you are absolutely sure? Call an electrician. You will need one if permits and inspections are required anyhow.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #9
Just a DIY guy

Rewards Points: 250

Making another outlet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Might check a few out from the library then buy the one that works best for you. And definitely, when in doubt and at times when you are absolutely sure? Call an electrician. You will need one if permits and inspections are required anyhow.
a library? What's that?

By all means, if your library has wiring books, review them to see what you like. Then buy the CURRENT wiring book. The codes change frequently, and so do the wiring books. Most libraries won't have the up to date volumes.

I have not reviewed whole bunches of wiring books, but the B&D book has lots of photos of mock-ups of typical installs and techniques with cut-aways so you can see everything, and is pretty good for most situations.
M3 Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 568

Making another outlet?

One outlet in room? Circa 1970? Houses in the 40's had at least 2 in a room.

bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bobelectric For This Useful Post:
kwilcox (04-17-2012)

Tags
adding outlet, how to, new outlet