Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Major electrical trouble shooting in island house

First post!

I have a house that's about 25 years old on Dog Island, FL. You can only get there by boat, and the island only has a few full time residents. Therefore, getting contractors out there is an expensive endeavor that I prefer to avoid!

On my last visit, I noticed that though all the breakers in the panel were on, the fridge was not working, as well as several other lights. On two occasions, I flipped the light switch on in a room and the bulb immediately blew out. In another room, the lights came on but were dim. The water well pump worked, however, as did the HVAC.

I am an automotive, carpentry, etc., DIYer but have very little experience with electrical projects. Is there an obvious diagnosis for the symptoms I've given?

It is an extremely harsh salt water environment, nothing lasts very long. I would really like to fix this myself if at all possible, and would be willing to completely change out the entire electrical panel, regardless of the cost, if that would fix the problem.

Any initial thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

PaleoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 20

I think you might have lost your neutral. This will cause voltage fluctuations. It may also cause the 120 volt loads not to work at all if it is totally lost. You may want to get the power company involved.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
I think you might have lost your neutral. This will cause voltage fluctuations. It may also cause the 120 volt loads not to work at all if it is totally lost. You may want to get the power company involved.
Done! I wouldn't have thought that the problem could be from the meter out, but they seemed agreeable to come get things fixed right away. Hope that does the trick.

Thanks!
PaleoMan is offline   Reply With Quote