Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2010, 01:23 PM   #1

Share |

Main panel without main disconnect

I discovered that in my main breaker panel in the basement utillity room, there is no main disconnect. The thick black service lines connect directly to the hot bars. Is this normal/code-allowed? I guess I could always shut off the entire house from the electrical meter which is outside if I need to.
ninghai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #2

There is a Main switch/shut off at the meter ?
That is normal & required by code in some areas
I prefer a panel with a Main breaker built in
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
" Euro " electrician

You should look right below of the meter socket if it have main breaker otherwise you may have split buss panel there.

The split buss panel the top four or six two pole breaker is used for main breaker purpose and it used to be common in old days but no longer legit.

{ if you turn off one two pole breaker it will turn off the bottom half of panel that is split buss set up }

Can you get the breaker box model number it should be printed on both door and inside of the tub { inside of breaker panel } or take a photo and show to us then we can able indentify it.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:39 PM   #4

Or, If you have another panel in the house, this could be a sub panel. Sub panels within a single attached dwelling require no disconnect or main breaker.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:03 PM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

I am with French. You most likely have a split-buss panel. VERY common around here years ago.

And NO! The meter is NOT a valid form of disconnect. DO NOT even think about removing it, ever.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Instead of editing my last post however let me add here due the OP is From Cambridge area I do not know if he is in older city area or new surrounding area if in older city IIRC there were a disconnection swtich outside of building I belive it look like old style pull box.

Somecase it will have CT { current transfomer } meter socket with disconnection switch there.

However a stern warning here do not even think about the meter socket just look at it but do not do anything with it this part is UNFUSED and alive all the time !!!!

Merci,Marc
Old 01-01-2010, 09:36 PM   #7

WOW, thanks for warning about the meter shut-off. I will not go near it then.

In any case, my main circuit panel (I am 100% sure this is the main panel. The sub panel is right next to it.) doesn't have the main disconnect. I will get the model number and picture tomorrow.

And yes this is Cambridge, MA. And this is a brand new construction, by the same electrician that did my dryer circuit.
ninghai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninghai View Post

And yes this is Cambridge, MA. And this is a brand new construction, by the same electrician that did my dryer circuit.
Boy this guy got you coming and going huh! Was his work inspected?
Paelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #9
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninghai View Post
WOW, thanks for warning about the meter shut-off. I will not go near it then.

In any case, my main circuit panel (I am 100% sure this is the main panel. The sub panel is right next to it.) doesn't have the main disconnect. I will get the model number and picture tomorrow.

That is very odd to see a new construction to see a load centre sans main breaker at all.

It will marked as " Main Disconnection " or " Service Disconnection " one of the two.

With new construction it automatic to see a main breaker installed either at the breaker box or below the meter socket that is the only two places you will see nothing where else at all did that place have allready inspector check that place when it was after rough and final installed ?

They should caught that one.

If there were no main breaker then you have super serious issue allready arise some worst case I did ran into is someone installed main lugs instead of main BREAKER in there.

some case someone get 200 amp main lugs and installed 100 amp main breaker in there { I have see that once a while and I hate it }

Merci,Marc
Old 01-01-2010, 10:07 PM   #10

I am holding off on commenting until I see some pics, other than to say maybe this is a small main panel with less than six disconnects???
Old 01-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #11
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
I am holding off on commenting until I see some pics, other than to say maybe this is a small main panel with less than six disconnects???

That is the best answer just wait until the OP come up with the photo so we can see the answer there.

Merci,Marc
Old 01-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #12

What makes me wonder is this is the same electrician that gave him a 20amp circuit for his electric dryer. This guy just may not be very qualified. You would think it had to be inspected!
Old 01-01-2010, 10:26 PM   #13

MA has some strict codes and licensing rules from what I can gather. If this is new construction there would HAVE to be inspections. If not...
Old 01-01-2010, 10:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
MA has some strict codes and licensing rules from what I can gather. If this is new construction there would HAVE to be inspections. If not...
He did say in the other thread this was new construction, so would assume it was inspected. I would think there has to be a main disconnect somewhere, or electrician and inspector missed the boat!
Old 01-01-2010, 10:42 PM   #15
" Euro " electrician

Paelectrician.,

this is the tread I know it will carry over on the matter.,,

20A Circuit Breaker, 30A dryer, is it OK?

Merci,Marc