Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2008, 01:22 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 35
Share |
Default

Main Panel Upgrade


Hi,

could anyone tell me if a quote of $1,500 in the Cheboygan Michigan area is inline, to upgrade from a 50amp (20 slot) to a New 200amp Service - Includes new Square D panel, new metal pipe riser, strap, weather head, new wire, new meter base?

Also would this be a 40 slot, do you know?

Many thanks

Invisible-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:34 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Termite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,520
Default

Main Panel Upgrade


Around here that wouldn't be a bad price, from what I'm seeing people pay.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.
 
Speedy Petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY State
Posts: 6,801
Default

Main Panel Upgrade


$1500 for a 200A mast service???? Make sure this guy is on the level and is experienced. That price sounds TOO low.


A 200A 20, 30, or 40 space panel is not much different in price. Ask what he intends to use.

How about grounding and bonding? That is required as well.
__________________
Sometimes I feel like if I answer any more questions it is like someone trying to climb over a fence to jump off a bridge and me giving them a boost.
Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
Contractor - Renovations
 
fungku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 260
Default

Main Panel Upgrade


That's pretty low. $2000-5000 depending on the situation is what you'd see around here.
fungku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 35
Default

Main Panel Upgrade


Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
$1500 for a 200A mast service???? Make sure this guy is on the level and is experienced. That price sounds TOO low.


A 200A 20, 30, or 40 space panel is not much different in price. Ask what he intends to use.

How about grounding and bonding? That is required as well.
He is a licensed electrician that our very good building contractor that is doing an addition etc uses, I will ask about the grounding and bonding, any idea what the total materials would likely come to?

Many thanks
Invisible-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:03 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,503
Default

Main Panel Upgrade


Is this quote is for the whole job? Labor and materials? Sounds low to me too. You better check and be certain that he is licensed and insured.
Be careful if he starts asking for money up front for materials. This does not make him a hack since some very good EC contractors require some sort of deposit. But the good ones put it in writing. That way everyone is covered.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:15 PM   #7
Licensed Electrical Cont.
 
Speedy Petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY State
Posts: 6,801
Default

Main Panel Upgrade


Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible-Man View Post
H..., any idea what the total materials would likely come to?
What does that matter?
__________________
Sometimes I feel like if I answer any more questions it is like someone trying to climb over a fence to jump off a bridge and me giving them a boost.
Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:38 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 205
Default

Main Panel Upgrade


I guess he's trying to figure out how much of the $1,500.00 is profit. But he can't see the EC's overhead. Most HOs (an abbreviation for Home Owners) just assume Job Price - Materials = profit. I wish that were the case more often. pete
petey_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:49 PM   #9
Licensed Electrical Cont.
 
Speedy Petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY State
Posts: 6,801
Default

Main Panel Upgrade


Quote:
Originally Posted by petey_c View Post
I guess he's trying to figure out how much of the $1,500.00 is profit. But he can't see the EC's overhead. Most HOs (an abbreviation for Home Owners) just assume Job Price - Materials = profit. I wish that were the case more often. pete
Right on!

I will say, the profit margin on services is higher than certain other work, but IMO this is justified.
There is a lot more work off site when it comes to services. Besides the fact that there is more to know, and there is more involved in working on unfused live parts than meets the eye.
We can make up taps if we are on an approved (and trained) list. There is also a HEAVY insurance burden that goes along with being on this list.
A HO that decides to do a service themselves can expect to shell out an additional $275 to have the POCO make up the taps.
__________________
Sometimes I feel like if I answer any more questions it is like someone trying to climb over a fence to jump off a bridge and me giving them a boost.
Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:05 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 35
Default

Main Panel Upgrade


Quote:
Originally Posted by petey_c View Post
I guess he's trying to figure out how much of the $1,500.00 is profit. But he can't see the EC's overhead. Most HOs (an abbreviation for Home Owners) just assume Job Price - Materials = profit. I wish that were the case more often. pete
Not quite the case, I was doing this as an exercise to see if it were at all profitable for an electrician at the quoted price, not to see how much money he could be making out of the job!
Invisible-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:14 PM   #11
Licensed Electrical Cont.
 
Speedy Petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY State
Posts: 6,801
Default

Main Panel Upgrade


If he is a fly-by-nighter doing this as a side job he will likely make decent money.
If he is a legit contractor with all the typical overhead IMO he is cutting it short.

It is impossible to tell not knowing he real overhead.

Material can run $400-$900 on a job like this. Being (I assume) a mast service puts the material AND labor in a higher bracket.
__________________
Sometimes I feel like if I answer any more questions it is like someone trying to climb over a fence to jump off a bridge and me giving them a boost.
Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:26 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 35
Default

Main Panel Upgrade


Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
If he is a fly-by-nighter doing this as a side job he will likely make decent money.
If he is a legit contractor with all the typical overhead IMO he is cutting it short.

It is impossible to tell not knowing he real overhead.

Material can run $400-$900 on a job like this. Being (I assume) a mast service puts the material AND labor in a higher bracket.
Not too sure what mast service is?
Invisible-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:52 PM   #13
nap
You talking to me?
 
nap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: sw mi
Posts: 5,407
Default

Main Panel Upgrade


that is an overhead service where they mount a piece of conduit to the top of the meter base and run the wire up through it and a weatherhead for the POCO to bug on to. (or the electrician if the area allows it)
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:59 PM   #14
Licensed Electrician
 
jrclen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: central wisconsin
Posts: 982
Default

Main Panel Upgrade


Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible-Man View Post
Hi,

could anyone tell me if a quote of $1,500 in the Cheboygan Michigan area is inline, to upgrade from a 50amp (20 slot) to a New 200amp Service - Includes new Square D panel, new metal pipe riser, strap, weather head, new wire, new meter base?

Also would this be a 40 slot, do you know?

Many thanks
That is a decent price. I live in farm country, away from the expensive cities and $1500 to $2000 is what I typically charge for an upgrade. Tell him you want a 40 space panel. SQ D makes a 200A 20 space panel and I would never use it as a main panel in a home. Get the 40. Make sure the price includes connecting the existing circuits to new breakers. Materials for me would be $600 to $1000.
__________________
John
jrclen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:39 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 35
Default

Main Panel Upgrade


Quote:
Originally Posted by jrclen View Post
That is a decent price. I live in farm country, away from the expensive cities and $1500 to $2000 is what I typically charge for an upgrade. Tell him you want a 40 space panel. SQ D makes a 200A 20 space panel and I would never use it as a main panel in a home. Get the 40. Make sure the price includes connecting the existing circuits to new breakers. Materials for me would be $600 to $1000.
Thanks for that, I am sure that he is a good licenced electrician for the very good builder that we are using to use him for his work, yes I would make sure that the panel was a 40 space one, even it was a little extra. The $1,500 was without the permit fee estimated at $100 or less.

Invisible-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replace main panel or use subpanel? MasterofNone Electrical 8 02-12-2008 12:24 AM
turn main panel into a sub panel? tikicarver Electrical 2 01-24-2008 07:37 AM
Replace main panel? And lots of other ?s Bcoleman6 Electrical 13 01-22-2008 09:40 AM
main lug vs main breaker for sub panel diyll Electrical 1 01-17-2008 08:18 PM
Add subpanel or upgrade main panel dcoz Electrical 1 01-12-2006 09:24 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.