Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2011, 10:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Main panel - is it up to code?

I recently had a handyman install a new main service panel. The electrical work looks good. The panel is surface-mounted, but he only filled the stucco to the edge of the panel and caulked around it.

While it is sealed for now, I am concerned that a leak anywhere along the edge will allow water inside of the wall and onto the wires. This is an area of the house that gets rained on directly.

My questions are: Is this up to code (San Jose, CA)? And is this a reasonable/good job?

krewekomedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:37 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,004

Handyman? Hopefully he did a good job and you have the final inspection report in hand.
He did pull the required permits and had the job inspected? If not, you are possibly in hot water with your city or county.

Surface mount panels are mounted to the stucco. On the exterior wall. There is rarely a reason to patch anything. Are you sure you meant surface mount. Surface mount NEMA 3R panels are rain resistant if installed correctly. They require no caulking or patching of any sort. No conduits leaving the top unless there is a hub.
Take a picture of your concerns and post them.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J. V. For This Useful Post:
krewekomedi (08-19-2011)
Old 08-19-2011, 04:46 PM   #3

Unfortunately I can't pull permits since there are other expensive things wrong with the property that they would require me to change. Sometimes laws meant to protect us have the opposite effect.

The original panel was half inset into the wall (and done very badly), so he left that hole. The answer I'm inferring from you is that surface mount should have an exterior wall behind it.

To be clear: I'm not concerned about the panel, I'm concerned about water seeping into the wall around the edges of the panel since there is no wall behind it. Is this a code violation or bad practice?

Unfortunately, I'm not there, so I can't sent a picture and there wouldn't be much to see.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Electric panels recessed into Stucco walls are common here in SoCol - mine is that way.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:52 PM   #5

It isn't recessed, the original panel was recessed and the new one is not recessed, but the hole behind the panel is still there. The edges are sealed, but I am concerned that a crack in the stucco will allow water into the wall.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:49 PM   #6
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,010

Quote:
Originally Posted by krewekomedi View Post
It isn't recessed, the original panel was recessed and the new one is not recessed, but the hole behind the panel is still there. The edges are sealed, but I am concerned that a crack in the stucco will allow water into the wall.
Doesn't sound like an electrical issue, but it is a general construction issue. I would not be satisfied with that installation. No matter how good the caulking is now, it will eventually leak into the wall. The stucco should have been patched completely before the new panel was installed over it.

mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mpoulton For This Useful Post:
NJMarine (08-20-2011)

Tags
installation, main panel, quality, service panel