DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

main panel /sub-panel/ service question

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  nosrals 
#1 ·
I need to upgrade my main breaker panel and subpanel. The way my house is rigged up right now does not seem to safe to me and is kinda old. It has the main panel outside and a smaller one inside and they BOTH run off the meter socket and neither have a cut off breaker. I want to buy all brand new stuff and put a 200 amp main outside with a 200 amp cut off breaker ( a new 200 amp meter socket as well). Then I wanna run a 125 amp subpannel off a 100 amp breaker from the main. The problem is I'm not 100% sure what my service line is. The only indication I found is on the panel inside my house and it says "75 amp max".

So My question is this: Can I still put a 200 amp main panel with a 200 amp cut off breaker on a 70-75 amp service? I'd rather not back feed if I don't have to. And I'm not sure if I wanna spend a lot of cash getting Oncor over here to upgrade my service line if they even can upgrade to a 200 amp around here.

#2 ·
#1 Please go back and add your location to your profile. Just go to Quick links to edit.
Most areas would require a permit and a real electrition to do this type of work.

#3 ·
Since you are not sure about what is going on maybe posting pictures will help. And adding your location would also help. If you are not comfortable in doing any of this it may be wise to hire an electrician.

#5 ·
I feel more than comfortable enough doing this and I will be getting a permit. I'm just curious if I can connect the 75 amp service to a 200 amp main panel with a 200 amp shut off breaker. My thinking is the breaker is more than big enough to hold that service but how safe is it. When I get off work ill post some pics. Thanks for the responses

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.