Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2009, 01:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Main Lighting Problem

Hi guys,

I have a very confusing problem here that i hope you guys can help me with. 2 weeks ago the breaker that controls my main room lights tripped, so i put it back on again, the light worked for another 2-3 days with no issues. Now the lights are tripping everyday as soon as i switch the light on.

Now, here comes the confusing part. I can put my lights on for hours and they do not trip (all of them at diffeent times), but other times they trip as soon as i put them on. Also, the breaker can trip even if there are none of the main lights on.

I have tried to change the wire round with another same amp'ed breaker but they lights still trip.

Any ideas at all folks would be great.
Chris.

Chris316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Main Lighting Problem

Sounds like you have an intermittant short. Could be a broken wire, loose connection, hot wire hitting the metal box, etc.... Turn off the breaker after identifying every outlet and switch it livens up and go through the boxes, one by one, until you find the issue.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Main Lighting Problem

You have a short. It would be nice to have a DMM for this. Go from box to box starting from the breaker panel until you find the short...hopefully there snit a box hidden in the walls or in the attic.

BTW, is this wiring new or has it been modified over the years?
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Main Lighting Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris316 View Post
the light worked for another 2-3 days with no issues.

the lights are tripping everyday as soon as i switch the light on.

I can put my lights on for hours and they do not trip (all of them at diffeent times),
other times they trip as soon as i put them on.

Also, the breaker can trip even if there are none of the main lights on.

I have tried to change the wire round with another same amp'ed breaker but they lights still trip.
Leave the lights off, bang on walls and ruffle feathers until the intermittent short shows up.
Does it happen
daytime?
nighttime?
no pattern?
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #5

Main Lighting Problem

Sound like you do have a short between the panel and the 1st device. Maybe a nail or romex staple stuck the wire when the sheetrock was going up and vibration from the AC maybe shaking it to short out. If you have amp meter check that make sure its not overloaded, may be more than lights on a circuit. I would think about running a new wire to the switches from the panel in case of fire hazard.
patriot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:43 PM   #6

Main Lighting Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgsgww View Post
You have a short. It would be nice to have a DMM for this. Go from box to box starting from the breaker panel until you find the short...hopefully there snit a box hidden in the walls or in the attic.

BTW, is this wiring new or has it been modified over the years?
Please excuse my ignorance, what do you's mean by box to box?

The wiring is about 20 years old, i have just recently had my shower cable replaced from 6mm to 10mm. Tonight tho my lights have stayed on as was last night. It doesn't affect my sockets, cooker etc or any other breakers just the one that controls my main lights.

I stay in a masionette and one thing i noticed is that sometime when i come in my front door, the switch to put the stairs light on doesn't work, but yet when i do go up the stairs i use the other switch and that puts the stair light on, the bottom switch works after this.
Chris316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Main Lighting Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris316 View Post
Please excuse my ignorance, what do you's mean by box to box?

The wiring is about 20 years old, i have just recently had my shower cable replaced from 6mm to 10mm. Tonight tho my lights have stayed on as was last night. It doesn't affect my sockets, cooker etc or any other breakers just the one that controls my main lights.

I stay in a masionette and one thing i noticed is that sometime when i come in my front door, the switch to put the stairs light on doesn't work, but yet when i do go up the stairs i use the other switch and that puts the stair light on, the bottom switch works after this.
This is a mainly US forum with some IEC knowledgeable members. I'm assuming your not from the US or Canada and use the IEC wiring code.

I will try and contact another member of your situation...
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:03 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,026

Main Lighting Problem

Are there some lights and receptacles that work correctly all the time? One way to start is to make a list of all the things that do work correctly and a list of all of the things that have given trouble.

Is the trouble there only when a particular switch was turned on?

Box to box. Electrical systems are usually set up where the power from the breaker box goes to one switch or receptacle (in a small box at the location in the wall), then from there to another switch or receptacle, then from the second switch or receptacle to the third receptacle, and so on in a daisy chain.

>>> sometime when i come in my front door, the switch
>>> to put the stairs light on doesn't work, but yet when
>>> i do go up the stairs i use the other switch and that
>>> puts the stair light on, the bottom switch works after
>>> this

There is a loose connection or other problem in the portion of the wiring that includes those two switches. This might also be related to the problem of the breaker tripping.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-12-2009 at 08:13 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:38 PM   #9

Main Lighting Problem

hmmmmmmm i smell a rat...

patriot1 is offline   Reply With Quote