DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Main disconnect/breaker trips when freezer not plugged in

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Yoyizit 
#1 ·
Hello all. I am new here and have done a search, but I can’t find any information about a strange problem my friend is having.

She called and said her central A/C is tripping her main breaker/disconnect. She also said that with the A/C off it also trips when she uses certain higher load devices at the same time (dishwasher, clothes dryer). If she keeps the A/C and high load devices off then the rest of the house works fine. She said her house was struck by lightning about a year ago and they had to have some rewiring done upstairs (I don’t know to what extent). I asked if all the other outlets and lights are working. She said there is one closet light that only works when something is plugged into the adjacent outlet, but that has been like that for a while (before the main breaker problem). I was in the car when she called about this problem, so I told her I would do some thinking and drop by her house later. She called about an hour later and said she fixed it. She remembered that she unplugged a freezer so she could clean it, and that is when the problems with the main breaker started. She plugged the freezer back in and know everything works fine. She can run the A/C the dishwasher and the clothes dryer all at the same time. I have never encountered a breaker that trips only when things are not plugged it. I am thinking that maybe the outlet by the closet and/or the outlet that the freezer plugs into are bad. If the outlets are bad why would it trip the main breaker and not the breaker on the circuit that is causing the problem? Maybe the main breaker/disconnect is bad? Anyone have any ideas?

See less See more
#7 ·
Start by eliminating things. Have the Poco check the service connection and the line up to the meter. Tell them you suspect a faulty neutral or loose connection somewhere on their side of the meter. They'll check it for free, since it's theirs. If it ok, then you really need an electrician to find the problem. This is pretty weird, the way you describe it. Since I can't even begin to think why plugging in a device would make a circuit work that wasn't working before, I would say your best bet is hire a pro.

#8 · (Edited)
her central A/C is tripping her main breaker/disconnect.
with the A/C off it also trips when she uses certain higher load devices at the same time (dishwasher, clothes dryer).

Maybe the breaker is tripping prematurely.

there is one closet light that only works when something is plugged into the adjacent outlet,

The outlet is in series with the closet light, instead of in parallel?

She remembered that she unplugged a freezer so she could clean it, and that is when the problems with the main breaker started.

Coincidence.

a breaker that trips only when things are not plugged it.

Local heating at the breaker terminals caused by a loose connection.

If the outlets are bad why would it trip the main breaker and not the breaker on the circuit that is causing the problem?
Maybe the breaker is tripping prematurely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.