Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2007, 09:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Main Breaker DOA?

Building a cottage up north. This last week they "energized" my new meter pedestal and 200 service panel. I did the wiring. When I got up there this weekend, I was excited to see the meter in, and I went to the service panel to turn on the main breaker....and it won't stay on! I switch it all the way to off....the try to keep it on "on", but it won't stay.

Short??? I pulled all of the breakers out....still won't stay "on". I checked the two hot wires going in the middle, and each had power. I didn't have meter/tester with me. I simply ran a wire from each of the plugs to a simple light. When I put on wire on the one of the hot's going in and the other on the ground, the light lit. Same when I did it to the other power line coming in.
I wonder if a main breaker can be DOA (dead on arrival). Everything seems ok.... ground and nutreal on same post...and neither = hot. Only the two wires that should be hot are.

fauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:11 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,004

Main Breaker DOA?

Absolutley you could have a defective breaker. I get defective light bulbs all the time. Nothing is certain. Replace it. Do not try to hold it on. It could blow up in your face (not likely), but possible.
Did the service panel pass inspection? Since you removed all the branch circuits, it sure sounds like a bad breaker to me.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:30 AM   #3

Main Breaker DOA?

no official inspection. rurual area, brother in law is good and looked at it, said I had it all right. I know the basics, and the power wires to the screws on the bottom of that breaker is pretty hard to screw up.

and got the ground and neutral together to that side neutral bar
Old 12-04-2007, 11:06 AM   #4

Main Breaker DOA?

I called the electric company engineer and he agreed thinking it was defective breaker or panel. They'll double check their wiring and then pull the meter till I call back for a re-energize. I will buy and install a new panel and main this weekend ("Square D" this time!). I don't want to screw with it for less than $200. I will take panel back to the store and try to get my $$ back too!

Oddly, I have two electric service drops on my lot, and two meters.
I had electric on my lot at another location before installing the new base / panel and having the power brought in underground from another pole. Luckily they did not pull the other meter yet, so I get one bill....with charges for two meters. It's a small charge and I am glad for the spare electric now! Don't like running those LONG extension cords...but that's temporary.

Thanks
Frank
Old 12-04-2007, 03:08 PM   #5
Electrician philosopher

Rewards Points: 500

Main Breaker DOA?

I wish I had 2 services. Or maybe just one...480 with a transformer in the laundry room for the 120V/208V loads. That would be sweet.

Andy
Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:28 PM   #6

Main Breaker DOA?

YES THE SERVICE PANEL / MAIN BREAKER WERE DEFECTIVE I had them pull out the meter the week after instal, pulled the service panel and replaced it with the Square D replacement. It works great, no problem. The main breaker never would stay on the CH. I did like the CH design and I know all manufactures create DOA pieces, but wish it wasn't me!