Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #1

Share |

Magnetek Century electric motor problem

Hello,

New to the forum here, so I appreciate your help and patience with a newbie.

I have a Magnetek Century blower motor that I salvaged when I replaced my central air system. I wanted to rig it up like a fan where I work and I've had some problems. It's a 220v-only motor, 3.5-3.6 amps. I don't have any 220 wired at work, so I bought a 1500w transformer meant for foreign travel. When I rigged it up, all I did was blow fuses in the transformer. The issues I've been able to identify so far are these:

1) The motor is apparently set up to receive two hot wires at 120v each, as you'd expect for 220/240 connections in the U.S., but the transformer puts out a single hot 240v on one prong and neutral on the other.

2) I understand that electric motors spike when starting up, and perhaps that's the reason for the fuse blowing.

So, do I need a transformer with a higher capacity, or is there a more fundamental problem with my idea? I thought 1500w would be enough to accommodate the motor, but maybe I was wrong.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by kilgoretrout71; 06-06-2012 at 04:06 PM.
kilgoretrout71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #2

With just two power wires on the motor (and the ground wire) it does not matter whether you use two 120 volt hot wires on opposite sides of a 120/240 volt circuit or two wires 240 volts and common from a transformer.

Can you get "slow blow" fuses,? These are meant to sustain an overload for a second or two as a motor starts up.

Note that the 3.5 -3.6 amp draw at 240 volts from the secondary of the transformer means a little over 7.0 - 7.2 amp draw (a little over 850 watts) at 120 volts from the wall receptacle.

Last edited by AllanJ; 06-06-2012 at 03:42 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #3

Thanks! I'll check on the slow blow fuses. I hope they can take a good spike, though. The ones I blew went pretty quick and hot.

So, then, if the method of delivery of the 240v doesn't matter, that means the spike this motor causes is substantial. 1500w is *almost* twice what I need. If the slow blow fuses don't work out, it leaves the tricky question of how much more of a transformer I would need.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #4

If the fuses are glass and the fuse element is splattered all over the glass it was a pretty serious overload.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #5

Well, I wouldn't say it was "splattered," but the center 50% of the strip was gone and the glass was somewhat blackened in that area.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
Idiot Emeritus

Some of the travel transformers are nothing but a diode and a reactor that will effectively reduce voltage but not increase it.

How much does the transformer weigh? a 1500 VA transformer should weigh around 30 lbs.

If it is indeed a true transformer, it will work in either direction. But the fuses must be time-delay. What size are they? 5MM X 20MM, 1/4" X 1-1/4", 13/32 X 1-1/2", or something else?

If it's a real transformer, and it's being used solely to run the motor, fuses are not required. The 120 volt circuit breaker in the panel will suffice for short-circuit and ground-fault protection, and the overload in the motor is good for the the transformer too.

Rob
micromind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #7

I'll have to check on the size of the fuses to be sure. I left them at work. To guess, though, I'd say they were 5x20 or 6x30. I'm pretty sure they weren't time delayed, though. And the unit is a true transformer--about 22 pounds and both step-up and step-down.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
JOATMON

Did you look at the name plate to see if you can rewire it for 120?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:48 PM   #9

Yes, it definitely can't be rewired for 120.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:11 AM   #10
Licensed Electrician

If you don't have 240V at work how is a transformer that is supplied by 240V supposed to work?

Unless you are in a foreign country currently and by foreign travel you mean travel to the US. Otherwise its like you are asking how you can plug in a 240V-120V transformer to a 120V receptacle and you expect to get 120V out of it.

I am going to ask how you know this motor can be rewired to 120V? Usually this is only possible if the motor has multiple voltage leads...and I haven't seen a resi AC fan motor with multi taps.

It seems you are making a lot to do over nothing when you can go out and buy an oscillating fan for 20 bucks.

Last edited by k_buz; 06-07-2012 at 06:28 AM.
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric motors