Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #1

Share |

MAGIC CHEF MICROWAVE MCO160 FAN no working

Hi folks
This is my firs post ever, I have a 2 year Magic chef microwave model MCO160 UW, it worked fine fine until one day the fan stopped working, it still heats up things like new but no fan noise, my questions:

1- is it safe to run it this way and for how long.
2-is there anything I can do to fix this problem.
3-What is my aprox. cost of fixing it if I call a repair person.

thanks in advance for any participation.

jimbobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
Wire Chewer

You may be safe to run it for small things under a minute, but I probably would not be putting a 5 minute TV dinner in there or anything. Not sure how hot the magnetron really gets but best to not find out what point it burns up. :o

You may be able to open it up (be careful, some live capacitors are possible even with it unplugged) to see the fan. Depending on the size and voltage you may be able to just retrofit a high end computer fan in there. I'd look at a delta, those are very powerful.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Squirrel For This Useful Post:
jimbobz (09-12-2010)
Old 09-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
You may be safe to run it for small things under a minute, but I probably would not be putting a 5 minute TV dinner in there or anything. Not sure how hot the magnetron really gets but best to not find out what point it burns up. :o

You may be able to open it up (be careful, some live capacitors are possible even with it unplugged) to see the fan. Depending on the size and voltage you may be able to just retrofit a high end computer fan in there. I'd look at a delta, those are very powerful.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #4
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post

I wouldn't run a microwave without a fan for any length of time. The magnetron is fairly small and lightweight, but has to dissipate almost 1000 watts of heat while running! It's like a small space heater, and they do not survive overheating well.

I would strongly discourage DIY repair of microwaves except for people with substantial high voltage electronics experience. The magnetron operates at several thousand volts, and rather high current too. The transformer in a microwave oven typically produces 2500 volts and is capable of over an amp. It is the most electrically dangerous item in a home, without question. One mistake can kill you, and set your body on fire. Professional repair should not be too expensive from a mom-and-pop repair shop.
mpoulton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:49 PM   #5

Thanks so much for the tip, I am not an electrician, obviously I will follow your tip and call a tech. If it costs close to getting a new microwave then so be it, it for sure won't be a MAGIC CHEF.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:54 PM   #6

We bought our last 1100w counter microwave for $129 on sale
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #7

You guys are awesome, I never participated in a forum like this one before, but not only people are nice and polite, educated they are quick to help too. , I trulu appreciate it. I found one on sale in Home depot for $149, but like I said I am not going to get another MAGIC CHEF just to avoid the jinx of the first one, lol.