Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4
Share |
Default

MAGIC CHEF MICROWAVE MCO160 FAN no working


Hi folks
This is my firs post ever, I have a 2 year Magic chef microwave model MCO160 UW, it worked fine fine until one day the fan stopped working, it still heats up things like new but no fan noise, my questions:

1- is it safe to run it this way and for how long.
2-is there anything I can do to fix this problem.
3-What is my aprox. cost of fixing it if I call a repair person.

thanks in advance for any participation.

jimbobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
Wire Chewer
 
Red Squirrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,197
Default

MAGIC CHEF MICROWAVE MCO160 FAN no working


You may be safe to run it for small things under a minute, but I probably would not be putting a 5 minute TV dinner in there or anything. Not sure how hot the magnetron really gets but best to not find out what point it burns up. :o

You may be able to open it up (be careful, some live capacitors are possible even with it unplugged) to see the fan. Depending on the size and voltage you may be able to just retrofit a high end computer fan in there. I'd look at a delta, those are very powerful.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Squirrel For This Useful Post:
jimbobz (09-12-2010)
Old 09-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4
Default

MAGIC CHEF MICROWAVE MCO160 FAN no working


Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
You may be safe to run it for small things under a minute, but I probably would not be putting a 5 minute TV dinner in there or anything. Not sure how hot the magnetron really gets but best to not find out what point it burns up. :o

You may be able to open it up (be careful, some live capacitors are possible even with it unplugged) to see the fan. Depending on the size and voltage you may be able to just retrofit a high end computer fan in there. I'd look at a delta, those are very powerful.
jimbobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #4
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 2,520
Default

MAGIC CHEF MICROWAVE MCO160 FAN no working


Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
You may be safe to run it for small things under a minute, but I probably would not be putting a 5 minute TV dinner in there or anything. Not sure how hot the magnetron really gets but best to not find out what point it burns up. :o

You may be able to open it up (be careful, some live capacitors are possible even with it unplugged) to see the fan. Depending on the size and voltage you may be able to just retrofit a high end computer fan in there. I'd look at a delta, those are very powerful.
I wouldn't run a microwave without a fan for any length of time. The magnetron is fairly small and lightweight, but has to dissipate almost 1000 watts of heat while running! It's like a small space heater, and they do not survive overheating well.

I would strongly discourage DIY repair of microwaves except for people with substantial high voltage electronics experience. The magnetron operates at several thousand volts, and rather high current too. The transformer in a microwave oven typically produces 2500 volts and is capable of over an amp. It is the most electrically dangerous item in a home, without question. One mistake can kill you, and set your body on fire. Professional repair should not be too expensive from a mom-and-pop repair shop.
mpoulton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4
Default

MAGIC CHEF MICROWAVE MCO160 FAN no working


Thanks so much for the tip, I am not an electrician, obviously I will follow your tip and call a tech. If it costs close to getting a new microwave then so be it, it for sure won't be a MAGIC CHEF.
jimbobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:54 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Default

MAGIC CHEF MICROWAVE MCO160 FAN no working


We bought our last 1100w counter microwave for $129 on sale
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4
Default

MAGIC CHEF MICROWAVE MCO160 FAN no working


You guys are awesome, I never participated in a forum like this one before, but not only people are nice and polite, educated they are quick to help too. , I trulu appreciate it. I found one on sale in Home depot for $149, but like I said I am not going to get another MAGIC CHEF just to avoid the jinx of the first one, lol.

jimbobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 way panel light switch on my Whirlpool Microwave - stopped working properly. MikeMcGreevy Appliances 0 01-27-2010 10:27 PM
Magic Chef HVAC water problem jfriday HVAC 2 08-15-2009 09:01 PM
magic chef microwave mrrenovater General DIY Discussions 1 04-30-2009 06:24 AM
Replaced lower element in Magic Chef oven still doesn't work sneakyd Appliances 2 12-10-2008 08:51 AM
Can I save my Magic Chef Fridge. The Freezer works but the fridge doesn't bmfay10 Appliances 2 03-28-2008 12:54 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.