Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

LV Wire

What would be the correct way to bring 12 volt landscape lighting wire through the wall.
There are 2 scenarios I need to accomplish.

-I have a transformer mounted in our garage, that needs to get through sheetrock and vinyl to the outside.

-I have another tranformer in a bedroom, that needs to get from the inside, through the floor, and out through the crawlspace vent. I cannot drill through the wall, nor the concrete. So the vent is there already, and the floor already has a good sized hole from a tv cable and sprinkler control wire.

I'm thinking just run the wire through 1/2" conduit so it doesn't get damaged since it is low voltage? I would of had them outside, but to have an electrician tap into the closest junction to install outlets (non outside at all), would be all the way in the attic, through our interior/exterior insulated walls. It would've been $250. Can't afford that right now.

My neighbor had LV lighting installed, and the installers located the transformer under his kitchen cabinet, and ran the bare wire through the wall, and ran it under the vinyl outside. He says the wire already got damaged, and he replace it, and installed conduit.

seansy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,014

LV Wire

Why can't you drill through the wall or the concrete? The easiest solution would be to run it straight out through the wall and down, protected by conduit if you want. I don't see a way to run it out of the garage without drilling through the wall. If the crawlspace vent is not far above grade and fairly well protected then I see no reason to sleeve the wire in conduit there.

mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mpoulton For This Useful Post:
seansy59 (04-07-2012)
Old 04-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

LV Wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
Why can't you drill through the wall or the concrete? The easiest solution would be to run it straight out through the wall and down, protected by conduit if you want. I don't see a way to run it out of the garage without drilling through the wall. If the crawlspace vent is not far above grade and fairly well protected then I see no reason to sleeve the wire in conduit there.

Thanks for the info! I can drill through the plywood and vinyl on the garage just fine. I will feed the 12v wire through a piece of 1/2" PVC conduit, caulk it, and "duct seal" the ends of the conduit.

But the concrete is way to thick for the bedroom part, and I rather not make a hole through the foundation of the house just for a wire. Our foundation is falling apart as it is.

I was thinking of feeding the wire through the floor with the sprinkler wire/coax, and bring it outside through the vent with the sprinkler wire in the same existing 1/2" conduit, into the ground. This way it is protected against the sharp corners of the vent, and protected from those evil chipmunks/squirrels. Does this sound good?
seansy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,014

LV Wire

That sounds good.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mpoulton For This Useful Post:
seansy59 (04-07-2012)