Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2010, 04:05 PM   #1

Share |

Lutron maestro IR Dimmers Multiple if possible????

Hi all,
I am planing to purchase IR controlled switches for 3 different dimmers in the same room. I am looking into purchasing this http://www.lutron.com/CMS400/pagebuynow.aspx?id=16947#fn1
But not sure if i can control 3 different switches separately if needed where it doesn't interfere each other. 2 of them are pretty close and i got a universal remote control that has multiple LED transmitters so it affects a wide area in front. Has anyone purchased these do they have any codin that i can say just work no 1 lights or no 2.

Drewex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:39 PM   #2

I have used a version of this. It was the three-way switch kit. I have, however, never used more than one kit at one time. I can tell you, however, that these switches would be affected by some of my powerline communication switches based on "insteon".

Given that the three-way switches are generally hardwired, it is my guess that the only communication between each other is status, rather than control. Given this, I would assume one could use multiple numbers of these switches without them affecting each other. I cannot guess whether one remote would work all three, however.

You may want to investigate alternatives. Are the three lights all on the same circuit? You may want to consider starting with some type of home automation-type devices. I use insteon (and this would probably work very well), but there are others out there. Given your interest in using a remote, you may want to look at a wireless solution such as Z-wave. I would think three switches and a remote would work well. I found some examples here:

http://www.jascoproducts.com/z-wave/Z-Wave-Products.asp

oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:28 PM   #3

Sad part they are all RF. I got a harmony remote i wanted to use which has only IR. Also the IR version is going to be around 90 bucks for multi location http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053, IR controllers or 60 for Single controller http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053. On RF then i need to purchase another remote which can combine both IR tv controller and RF controller automation. Not sure on pricing on those.

I dont know if they are on same circuit, i guess i can turn circuit switches on off to see which one is on what. My main concern the IR. If they all use the same IR codes the while trying to switch on the other will turn on as well which i do not want.

I guess i can buy 2 and test but and return if it doesnt work like i want it.

Usually these things will have code selectors like inside the battery cap and behind the IR device. Even an simple IR remote toy will have 3 different settings a b c.

Do u recall any setting on the remote or on the switch.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:37 PM   #4

Something looking like this
Old 01-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
Licensed electrician

The Maestros I have do not have a code setting. I would think that one remote could change multiple switches when the IR hits them.

You might want to check out the Radio RA system from Lutron.
Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:47 PM   #6

Mine had no dip switches or anything like that. It is possible that those I use were slight variations. Too bad the Z-wave won't work.

Like I mentioned earlier, I use insteon. I also use a TV remote to control, but this takes an IR converter. The good news is that insteon is a bit less expensive.

I found some downloadable instructions on the Lutron. Perhaps this will answer your questions.

http://www.lutron.com/cms400/PageBuy...=16965&mn=1813
Old 01-07-2010, 06:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberkc View Post
Like I mentioned earlier, I use insteon. I also use a TV remote to control, but this takes an IR converter. The good news is that insteon is a bit less expensive.
Hmm i gues i can look into getting a newer remote that controls RF as well. What type of IR converter are you using for what purpose.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:14 AM   #8

Don't give up on the harmony remote. It would be a relatively basic system to adapt to recieve the IR codes. I would be surprised if Harmony did not already include X-10 codes as part of thier library and may include some of the other home automation types, as well. On the other hand, RF offers some benefits regarding ability to operate in different rooms. Most likely, you would have to convert RF to IR in order to interface with home automation schemes, which would require one of those RF base stations.

I use an IR-543 reciever, based on X-10, then convert those to insteon signals using a whole house controller ISY-99. With your situation, I would be very tempted to look at this IR controller:

http://www.smarthome.com/2411R/IRLin...nverter/p.aspx

to control these types of switches:

http://www.smarthome.com/2476D/Switc...r-White/p.aspx

Keep your harmony remote and use that to contol the lights.

Keep in mind that this recommendation is based on your three switches being on the same circuit and the IR link being plugged into that circuit. If you have another situation, you may require two devices known as access points, which transmit and recieve RF. They are used to bridge electrical phases in the house and best ensure coverage throughout.

Access points would give you additional options for control, however. There is an RF remote available to control insteon devices that could be used once you have access points.

If you are like me, though, you will not stop at three switches, so consider the possibility of growth. You will soon want to automate lights coming on at certain times, response to motion sensors, ability to control house lights in different rooms, etc....

If this is a possibility consider one of the starter kits, such as:

http://www.smarthome.com/2498A1/INST...ter-Kit/p.aspx

One of these may include most of what you need.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:31 AM   #9

"Control Your INSTEON Lights and Appliances From Your Universal Remote Control " This is awesome. exactly what i need. Only problem 100$$$. Hehehe one time deal tho so perfect tool. and the kit sounds like a good bargain but has some stuff i dont need like the multi switch control. I am just getting into these stuff so this would be perfect. I wanted to keep it less cost but hey it gets to a point were i will want to control more. The AC fireplace man oh man. Killer looks.

oberkc you've been a great help. Thanks for all the cool links. Wouldnt even know.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #10

Enjoy your home automation project. Be sure to check out the smarthome forums.

http://www.smarthome.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=9

Also, the forum at universal devices is good, even if you don't actually own or use one of their products.

http://forum.universal-devices.com/i...ab2882976aed18

There are some outstanding folks there.

As far as price goes, you were looking at $45 per switch anyways, and even more if you were going to get the IR remote. If, ultimately, you decide to push ahead with insteon or something similar, I think you will come to regret it if you attempt to start cheap. You will end up buying everything in one of the kits anyway, and so it is cheaper long term to start off with one of the kits.

I hope you have as much fun with this as I have.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:31 AM   #11

I have the same problem, and was thinking of using this solution so that I can use my Logitech Harmony One to control the Insteon RF dimmers.

My only question is that how does the Harmony know how to control the dimmers? How would it know which dimmer it's controlling.

Again, sorry for reviving an old thread, but I hope someone can give some info.
penti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:47 AM   #12

Quote:
My only question is that how does the Harmony know how to control the dimmers? How would it know which dimmer it's controlling
Insteon, like many, work by "linking" devices to each other, some as controllers, some as responders. To control a dimmer from an IR device, the IR device becomes the controller and the dimmer becomes the responder.

The simplest way to use an IR remote is with a device called an "IRLinc". This device recieves IR signals and converts them to insteon. The IRLinc is similar to a learning remote, in that it can learn any of the commands issued by the remote.

Once learned, one then creates the scene with the IRLinc as controller and dimmer(s) as responder.

You can find a much more thorough description and user manuals on the smarthome web page.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberkc View Post
Insteon, like many, work by "linking" devices to each other, some as controllers, some as responders. To control a dimmer from an IR device, the IR device becomes the controller and the dimmer becomes the responder.

The simplest way to use an IR remote is with a device called an "IRLinc". This device recieves IR signals and converts them to insteon. The IRLinc is similar to a learning remote, in that it can learn any of the commands issued by the remote.

Once learned, one then creates the scene with the IRLinc as controller and dimmer(s) as responder.

You can find a much more thorough description and user manuals on the smarthome web page.
Yes, I forgot to mention that ill be using the IRLink. But does the harmony one already have built in commands? Also, can the dimmers act independently with one another? Turn one off while not affecting others?
penti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewex View Post
"Control Your INSTEON Lights and Appliances From Your Universal Remote Control " This is awesome. exactly what i need.
Stay away from this if you can. Maybe they have gotten better, but quality used to be a huge issue.

If you like Lutron, the Spacer system is what you are looking for.

Or if you really want to upgrade, dump the Harmony and get a URC. They have a line of Lutron Maestro's that work in their native RF.
herdfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Stay away from this if you can. Maybe they have gotten better, but quality used to be a huge issue.
I have heard those same rumors. Fortunately (for myself) I have not experienced anything that suggests any truth to them.

I think you would be doing yourself no favor if did not consider insteon as an option.