Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #1

Share |

lutron dimmer

I just finished installing 6 6" halo can lights with Commercial Electric LED trims. I have a 4 way switch arrangement and installed a Lutron toggler 150w 3 way dimmer in the last 3 way switch before the lights. The dimmer says its for LED and CFL as well as incandescent bulbs, but it doesn't dim. If you move the brightness control from full bright, the lights flicker. I went with this particular dimmer because it is located with 3 other switches and this (
Model # TGCL-153PH-WH) fits right in as far as looks go. Now I'm back to square 1 and I'm looking for advice on possibly a better choice, or should I return it for another of the same.
Thank you.
Joe

Cornhusker Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:17 AM   #2
E2 Electrician

lutron dimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornhusker Joe View Post
I just finished installing 6 6" halo can lights with Commercial Electric LED trims. I have a 4 way switch arrangement and installed a Lutron toggler 150w 3 way dimmer in the last 3 way switch before the lights. The dimmer says its for LED and CFL as well as incandescent bulbs, but it doesn't dim. If you move the brightness control from full bright, the lights flicker. I went with this particular dimmer because it is located with 3 other switches and this (
Model # TGCL-153PH-WH) fits right in as far as looks go. Now I'm back to square 1 and I'm looking for advice on possibly a better choice, or should I return it for another of the same.
Thank you.
Joe
Are the lamps you purchased dimmable?

stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (06-05-2013), Kyle_in_rure (06-05-2013), Speedy Petey (06-05-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 06:42 AM   #3
Bill Kearney

lutron dimmer

Have you called Lutron to talk with them about it? Their support line is very good at dealing with this sort of thing.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wkearney99 For This Useful Post:
clashley (06-05-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #4

lutron dimmer

Thank you for your replies. Yes, Stickboy, they are the dimmable LEDs. I will try contacting Lutron. Thanks.
Joe
Old 06-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #5

lutron dimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornhusker Joe View Post
I just finished installing 6 6" halo can lights with Commercial Electric LED trims.
Are they this model?

CE-JB6-650L-27K (T67)

This is the only Commercial Electric 6" LED approved for that dimmer.

http://www.lutron.com/technicaldocum..._bulb_list.pdf

Last edited by herdfan; 06-05-2013 at 08:26 PM.
herdfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #6

lutron dimmer

I tried using that dimmer for my dimmable LEDs that I just installed (6, 5inch cans) very recently and ran into a slew of dimmer issues. My wife likes that toggler style as well so we were limited to switches that look like that - Lutron calls it Ariadni style.

I tried the dimmer in your first post and it caused my LEDs to buzz no matter how I adjusted it. I ended up with Dimmer model number AYCL-153P-WH and it works beautifully with no buzzing. I don't even know why they have two part numbers for what appears to be the same switch, but for some reason this one works a million times better.

http://www.amazon.com/Lutron-AYCL-15...sim_sbs_misc_1
bobgodd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bobgodd For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (07-11-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #7

lutron dimmer

The trims are Commercial Electric Model # CER6741WH, purchased at Home Depot. I talked to Lutron Tech Desk today and they say I have a compatibility issue and I either need a different dimmer (not one of theirs) or change the trims. As the dimmer was about $20 and the trims are about $39 each, I'm looking for advice on a different dimmer.
Thanks again.
Joe
Old 06-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #8

lutron dimmer

Another thing, you can't get this one from HD or Lowes, but I was able to find it locally at an electrical parts wholesale store.

Also, I found the most agreeable (for the lights behavior) setting on the little adjustable dial knob under the faceplate was to turn it all the way high, and then back it off about a third of a turn.

If you're in the mood, you can peruse my misery lol.
Link: Two light switches in-line to lights?

Last edited by bobgodd; 06-05-2013 at 10:49 PM.
bobgodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #9
Bill Kearney

lutron dimmer

LEDs and dimmers can be a nightmare. It's best to not purchase either without knowing, AHEAD OF TIME, that they'll work together. This almost always means not finding a bargain on either.

The basic reason is the way the LEDs are electrically driven determines what kind of dimmer can or can't be used. Whereas with incandescent it really didn't matter much. Lutron's one of the few vendors that has take the time to investigate and publish what does or doesn't work.

Toggle handle dimmers look nifty but it's a bear trying to get compatible lighting with them. It ends up being just a lot less hassle to change the whole box to Decora style instead.
MTN REMODEL LLC (06-06-2013)
Old 06-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #10

lutron dimmer

You are so right, Bill, this is turning into a real problem because I can't find anyone that will say their product is compatible. Yes, I should have investigated further before I started this project - but the man in the orange apron said this was just what I was looking for. Correct to a point - I didn't realize they wouldn't play well together!
Joe
Old 06-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
Bill Kearney

lutron dimmer

I feel for you, but don't have a specific answer.

As for getting advice from the aprons, yeah, live and learn... not to.

I'm sure some mean well but I've heard nonsense from them more than once. If I'm not in a rush and the customer seems nice I'll usually chime in with help. It does seem like the staff is trained not to get into arguments. Or maybe they've been smart enough to realize they're better off backing out of the mess they were about to inflict on the customer. Who knows. But they usually seem like they mean well, so there's that.
MTN REMODEL LLC (06-07-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 11:35 PM   #12

lutron dimmer

I now have resolution of the problem of the Lutron dimmer that wouldn't dim my LED lights and was "incompatible" according to Lutron Tech. I contacted Home Depot in Atlanta and explained the problem; it was news to them especially because they were making Lutron their primary line. They were very helpful and recommended a Leviton Decora dimmer. They said if it didn't solve the problem they would replace the trims. Well, the Leviton dimmer works the way it should. Then, since the other switches in this location (4 switches in a 4 gang box), they replaced all the switches and cover plate. I am satisfied with their customer service and especially their Resolution Expeditor : Perly Gedeon. She has a smile through the phone line.
Leviton Decora universal slide dimmer - works as single pole or 3way and includes interchangeable covers for white, ivory, or light almond. #IPL06

Joe