Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
South Jersey

Share |

Low voltage wiring

I have to get an electrical inspection and have en electrical permit for low voltage wiring for my 7 zone sprinkler system install.

Has anyone else done this and can offer some words of advice? What exactly ARE the codes for installing LVW? Do I need to run it through metal conduit? Are there certain restrictions I have to meet? Is there a site I can download a copy of the electrical codes for NJ? I am using 18ga 5 conductor direct burial cable if it makes a difference. I am most concerned about what is required inside the house to be code compliant.

I was kind of surprised when the township code official told me I needed an electrical permit.

Reddhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:37 AM   #2

Low voltage wiring

Inside the house, all wires fished through or buried in walls must have certain non-flammability characteristics, I don't remember what the code letters are. CL3? CL2?

Generally (not sure for NJ) low voltage wiring splices don't need to be enclosed in junction boxes when the low voltage wires did not run through the same conduit as house current wires. But any joints and splices have to be accessible (reachable through a removable cover plate).

Outside you would not want to direct-bury joints and splices even in direct burial cable. Boxes with caulked openings where the wires come in are desirable and may be the same boxes where the water valves are located.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
South Jersey

Low voltage wiring

Thanks Allen

The wiring will all be in my unfinished basement. One day the basement will be finished so I need to keep in mind what is required for the future.

I'll have to check the jacket on the cable too.
Reddhead is offline   Reply With Quote