Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #1

Share |

Low Voltage Transformer Problem

I recently purchased a low voltage transformer from Volt to run some landscape lighting. The transformer I purchased is a 12 Volt Pro Multi-Tap Transformers / 1200watt: http://www.landscapelightingworld.co...hting-s/31.htm.

I'm not sure if the problem is the transformer or not; let me explain what I am experiencing. When I hook the transformer up I am getting a good reading initially (120 volts at the receptacle and 12volts at the connecting blocks). Then of of a sudden, the box sounds like it is tripping and afterwards is slightly hot to the touch. I unplug the unit, wait about 5 mins..it appears to reset itself and then when I plug it in again it trips. It takes 10-20 secs, but it always trips.

The transformer is hooked up to a dedicated 20amp circuit. Is it possible that this breaker is too big? The instructions read: use a clamp on amp meter around the looped wire to measure the transformer input current and be sure not to exceed 10 amps (which is the maximum input current for my transformer). I don't have a clamp on voltmeter, so at the moment I am unable to test this. But assuming that this is the problem...what are the proper corrective actions? To downgrade the breaker from 20amp to 10amp? Or is the problem a bad transformer? I'm just looking for some troubleshooting tips before I go out and hire an electrician or purchase a voltmeter...

Also, I currently have no lights hooked up to the transformer. I'm just plugging it in and attaching a fluke probe to the low voltage terminals to get a reading when it trips. The transformer is brand new.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by dlp710; 07-05-2012 at 07:24 PM.
dlp710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #2

sounds like your tranny has shorted turns !
IT IS FAULTY !
take it back.

dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #3

What setting is your meter on when you connect it? It should be on AC Volts. Does it trip if the meter is not connected?

Tags
low voltage