Low Voltage Recessed Lights - Wiring - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Low voltage Recessed Lights - Wiring

Hello:

I was replacing some old lights in a bedroom with Nicor Low Voltage IC Boxes-NA14102A. The circuit it is on is 20Amp. When I opened up the LV housing I noticed it has quick connectors. My question is, do I attach the 12/2 wire right in to the quick connectors or do I need to cut them off and use a cap? Also, for multiple boxes can I just connect the next feed into the quick connect? Or am I missing something?

Thanks for the help!

Advertisement

zephed666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephed666 View Post
Hello:

I was replacing some old lights in a bedroom with Nicor Low Voltage IC Boxes-NA14102A. The circuit it is on is 20Amp. When I opened up the LV housing I noticed it has quick connectors. My question is, do I attach the 12/2 wire right in to the quick connectors or do I need to cut them off and use a cap? Also, for multiple boxes can I just connect the next feed into the quick connect? Or am I missing something?

Thanks for the help!
I am not familar with those boxes, however, you need to read the instructions that came with the box or the specs sticker on the box. Many "quick" connections are only rated for 14 guage or smaller. If they are rated for 12 guage, then you can daisy chain them without any trouble.

Advertisement

bhennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhennon View Post
I am not familar with those boxes, however, you need to read the instructions that came with the box or the specs sticker on the box. Many "quick" connections are only rated for 14 guage or smaller. If they are rated for 12 guage, then you can daisy chain them without any trouble.

there were no instructions. that is why I asked and added the model number...
Old 03-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephed666 View Post
there were no instructions. that is why I asked and added the model number...
Looks like that model uses "IDEAL" push in wire connectors. Take a look at their website and see if your connector is shown there and look up the appropriate spec sheet.
http://www.idealindustries.com/prodDetail.do?prodId=in-sure&div=0&l1=push-in

looks like most of them are 12-22 gauge wire so you should be ok.
bhennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhennon View Post
Looks like that model uses "IDEAL" push in wire connectors. Take a look at their website and see if your connector is shown there and look up the appropriate spec sheet.
http://www.idealindustries.com/prodDetail.do?prodId=in-sure&div=0&l1=push-in

looks like most of them are 12-22 gauge wire so you should be ok.

Thanks! I didn't think to look up the connector, have been trying to look up the can and found nothing...

Never used the quick connects either. Just wanted to make sure it was acceptableto daisy chain...

Last edited by zephed666; 03-28-2011 at 05:04 PM.