Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2007, 08:26 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Low voltage over distance

I need to install a radio transmitter where there is no power. it will operate on low voltage, 12 volts, at about 15 amps.

it would be about 400 feet.

I was wondering if one could push 12 volts that far, and have 13 to 15 amps once you get there?

If so, what type of wire should be used to make that type of run.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

TomT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 10:14 PM   #2
retired

400 ft is a long run, even for 120v circuit. I think you would be better off to look at running a 120v, or even better, a 240v line to the transmitter location and use a step down transformer to get the 12v. If you run 120v you only need to push a couple of amps to get the 15 amps at 12v you need at the transmitter.

To give an idea of what you're looking at, to run 15 amps 400 ft at 12v would require a wire that looks like car battery jumper cables! 1 amp at 240v would require a wire on the order of a heavy duty extension cord.

dmaceld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 11:13 PM   #3

Radio Transmitter. 12Vdc, drawing 15Amps. 12X15=180watts. No much trasmitter power. How about using a car battery? car battery can be recharged.
jorguez1167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 11:45 PM   #4

Yea, but walking up and down the hill once a day to change the battery cant be done on a daily basis.
thats why i was wondering if running low voltage would work.
I even thought of putting the battery up there, and using the low voltage to carry a trickle charge for the battery to keep it going.
I dunno about running 110v. I would be worried someone would get into it and there be a liability on my part.

Thanks for the info and thoughts on this matter
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorguez1167 View Post
Radio Transmitter. 12Vdc, drawing 15Amps. 12X15=180watts. No much trasmitter power. How about using a car battery? car battery can be recharged.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:14 AM   #5
Agent 000

Sounds like a great opportunity to experiment with some solar cells to keep that battery charged. It might cost a few $$$ but what the heck?

Tom... just curious, and you can tell me it's none of my business if necessary, but what exactly are you doing? Running a shortwave?
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 11:50 AM   #6

Dont mind at all.
Actually, Its a GMRS repeater.
The cost of getting into comercial towers here is outta sight. I have access to mountain top. but no power.
its roughly 350 feet, with fence line so i thought of running low volt up the fence line. But sounds like that wont work since the charger wouldnt be able to push that far to keep the battery going.
This is a Bridgecom repeater, and runs on 110 or 12v.

Just trying to figure out a way to get it on air so to speak since its just sitting here waiting for a decent tower to open up.

do u think one of those battery solar trickle chargers would be able to keep the battery up?

Thanks for the thinking u put forth on this issue.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
Sounds like a great opportunity to experiment with some solar cells to keep that battery charged. It might cost a few $$$ but what the heck?

Tom... just curious, and you can tell me it's none of my business if necessary, but what exactly are you doing? Running a shortwave?
Old 07-22-2007, 02:14 PM   #7
Agent 000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT View Post
do u think one of those battery solar trickle chargers would be able to keep the battery up?
Tom
Hmmm, not knowing anymore about your equipment it would be hard to say. You mentioned
Quote:
12 volts, at about 15 amps
Is that load 24/7, intermittant, short cycles, long cycles, during the PM hours???

Here's some solar equipment at Northern Tools. Take a peak and see if anything looks like it'll stand up to the type of duty that you would be putting the battery through. And of course you know... no juice on rainy/cloudy days, if that's important to you.

Last edited by SecretSquirrel; 07-23-2007 at 07:20 AM. Reason: spelling
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote