Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
kvv

Rewards Points: 10

Low Voltage Lights

The breaker on my low voltage transformer keeps tripping off. I have a Malibu 200-watt transformer. Worked fine for about a month. After I reset the the breaker, the breaker on the transformer would trip after 5 minutes.

- I only use 180 watts
- timer is set at correct time
- I noticed this start to happen when the weather is cold. Temp in Northeast is now below freezing.

Does it have anything to do with the temperature?

is there anything I could check?

Thanks

kvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Low Voltage Lights

I would not expect low temperatures to have this affect, but this is just a gut feel. How old is the transformer? How confident are you that the load is only180watts?

If this were happening at my house, I would be removing a few lamps from my circuit (to temporarily reduce the load). If this solves the problem, then I would conclude a new transformer is in order.

If removing a few lamps does not help, I would then be looking at wiring as a potential culprit. My reaction would be to remove all the lamps and measure resistance between the two conductors (also removed from the transformer tap). I would expect to find near infinite resistance. If not, I would be looking for a short or failed wire or connector somewhere.

oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
kvv

Low Voltage Lights

oberkc, thank you for replying.

Transformer is new. Bought from HD 1.5 months ago.

I have 9 lights at 20w each. That's 180w on a 200w transformer.

It worked fine for a whole month. And still works fine now when I first turned it on. But only for about 5 minutes then the breaker trips.
kvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Low Voltage Lights

Devices do fail. There are also manufacturing tolerances. I am also not sure that the malibu transformer is the most robust on the market.

A nice item to have in your electrical toolbox is a Killawatt meter. This would allow you to measure power to the transformer.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:24 AM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Low Voltage Lights

Try to unhook the low voltage side of the transfomer to rule it out if you have the secondary side unhooked and turn on the transfomer and if the breaker stay on then you have issue somewhere along the low voltage circuit.

Somecase you may have bad connection there can cause a short circuit or others issue as well.

Merci.
Marc
Old 10-28-2012, 01:47 AM   #6

Low Voltage Lights

I have the same problem and am also thinking my transformer has failed. I have only had my transformer for 3 months or so but am ready to buy a new one . Any advice before I do?
eashby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:26 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Low Voltage Lights

if the TR isn't warrenty might consider removing the CB and add a changable car type glass fuse or those horse shoe types used on the fuse panels on cars...the lenght of the wire run out pulls on the TR just as much as the lights..did it ever trip in the hot weather

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote