Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2011, 03:59 PM   #1

Share |

Low Voltage Lighting Transformer

I'm doing a low voltage lighting project for the pathway outside. I have no outdoor outlets at all, and the closest and available outlet is inside a bedroom on the opposite side of the wall.

I need a transformer for the lights. I don't need a timer with it, as it will only be turned on when needed by a switch. All the ones Ive seen have big bulky timer ones. I need a small one that will plug into an outlet. About the size of a wall wart that will supply 12 volt power to about 10 pathway lights and 2 spotlights. I will get 2 if I need to.

Also, even though its just 12 volts, should I install a GFCI outlet for it? Or at least one of those plug in portable GFCI's because other things are plugged into the outlet. (Laptop, TV, and a lamp)

seansy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansy59 View Post
I'm doing a low voltage lighting project for the pathway outside. I have no outdoor outlets at all, and the closest and available outlet is inside a bedroom on the opposite side of the wall.

I need a transformer for the lights. I don't need a timer with it, as it will only be turned on when needed by a switch. All the ones Ive seen have big bulky timer ones. I need a small one that will plug into an outlet. About the size of a wall wart that will supply 12 volt power to about 10 pathway lights and 2 spotlights. I will get 2 if I need to.

Also, even though its just 12 volts, should I install a GFCI outlet for it? Or at least one of those plug in portable GFCI's because other things are plugged into the outlet. (Laptop, TV, and a lamp)

You need to size the transformer to provide at least 110% of the wattage of your lamps (if the total wattage of your lamps if 90 watts, then you need a transformer that outputs about 100 watts). A small wall brick will probably not provide you with enough output.

I would install a GFCI on the outside of the house in a weatherproof box with an in-use cover (tapping from the interior bedroom receptacle you mentioned), and then plug your transformer into that.

clashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:59 PM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

You are not going to get away with a wall wart. You say 12 LV fixtures, if you install 50 watt Halogen lamps you are talking 600 watts. That is 50 amps at 12VDC.

You need a minimum 600 watt LV landscape transformer and 3 individual runs of #12 LV underground wire.

Have you considered solar?

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CHUQ8wIwAg
Old 10-30-2011, 01:44 AM   #4

Please provide more info on the current draw
of the lights you wish to use.
Unless they are LED lights I doubt that
a small plug pack will provide enough power.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
landscape lighting