Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #1

Share |

Low Voltage lighting system Circa Early 70's

New house....everything seemed to be fine...now the lights in the kitchen, rear entry and "spare" room won't turn on. See attached pictures (BTW, there was no cover on the box either!!!)......i know that the light bulbs are all good. The switches all work(took each one and put it into the dining room). So it must be the relays??? How can i fugure out which one(s) are bad? I tried having my wife turn them on and off and stood in front of the box listening/looking/touching but can't figure it out..They are GE RR-5. Can't seem to find them (discontinued by GE?) and the suggested replacement is the RR-7. It appears that the RR-5 "snaps" into the box (much like a regular 110volt circuit breaker) whereas the RR-7 has screw terminals. How does the rr-7 install in my box? or, da-da-da-dum....do i need to replace the whole box? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images

zinzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzah View Post
New house....everything seemed to be fine...now the lights in the kitchen, rear entry and "spare" room won't turn on. See attached pictures (BTW, there was no cover on the box either!!!)......i know that the light bulbs are all good. The switches all work(took each one and put it into the dining room). So it must be the relays??? How can i fugure out which one(s) are bad? I tried having my wife turn them on and off and stood in front of the box listening/looking/touching but can't figure it out..They are GE RR-5. Can't seem to find them (discontinued by GE?) and the suggested replacement is the RR-7. It appears that the RR-5 "snaps" into the box (much like a regular 110volt circuit breaker) whereas the RR-7 has screw terminals. How does the rr-7 install in my box? or, da-da-da-dum....do i need to replace the whole box? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
These old lighting systems always get mangled over the years, one thing I can recommend is that if a button gets stuck, it really screws up the works, as far as finding the bad relay, you are going to have to identify them all if they are not already. I've never actually worked on a GE version, but similar ones, so can't help you fully troubleshoot this.

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #3

Depends. It depends on your ability to electronically trace circuits. A signal generator type tone tracer can help. They are general purpose relays which can be found fairly easily. What experience do you have with low voltage electrical circuits? It's doubtful many books are out there about this subject. The nice thing if you intend to do it yourself is that the low voltage is at the switches, so trouble shooting will be a "little" bit safer at those locations. IF you can't here the relays click they are not energized. This can mean a bad transformer, a bad switch, a loose or broken connnection....a lot of variables.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Only the switching on these is low voltage.

Most towns have an electrical supply place that keeps some of these relays in stock.
Call before just showing up and then take a few good clear photo's with you.

Until you have a couple of spare known good matching relays... don't touch anything!
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
E2 Electrician

This may help you...
http://www.kyledesigns.com/category/...hting-systems/
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote