Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-15-2011, 12:19 PM   #1

Share |

Low-voltage LEDs Setup

This is a followup to a thread I started a few months back:
LED Strip Wiring Questions

I'm just about done and things are looking pretty good, but I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything inherently dangerous/against code.

I'm using a spare computer PSU to supply 12v power (which I believe is 17amps max on the 12v) which connects to the LED controller unit. The controller has connections for 9 RGB light branches (so 4-wires x 9) and has a max load of 15amps. The PSU and controller unit are in a utility closet in the basement. Currently I have 6 branches done and it's putting me around 7.5amps. Out of the controller for each branch I'm using 18AWG In-Wall rated cables (http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2). The 18AWG wires goes out of the utility closet and into the drop ceiling, my average run is around 25ft. I then connect the 18AWG to the RGB ribbon which is 22AWG via regular wire nuts which I just have over the ceiling tiles. The highest run is around 2.5 amps, but most are around 1.5 amp or less.

Any red flags here? Are the wire nuts ok? Obviously you can't just have wire nuts for line voltage, but I'm not sure what the rules are for low voltage.

khargy is offline   Reply With Quote