Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 27

Low voltage led landscape lights

Not sure if this post should be here or in landscaping...

Read about voltage drop with low voltage lighting, but see where it isn't a big concern with led lights. I have 16-18 bollard led lights (1 watt each) that I thought I would daisy chain, until I read about drop. I checked out one formula, and figured with 14 gauge wire on a 45 watt transformer and running 100 feet, that the drop would be less than 1. Plus I have read with led, not to concern myself with the drop.

Am I okay here to daisy chain the 16-18 one watt bollards on one run? Secondly, I guess I figured the 100 feet of 14 gauge wire would reach everything I wanted, but it doesn't. IF I haven't exceeded the maximum wattage on the transformer - which I haven't with 16-18 watts with the 16-18 bollard led lights - can I add a second run with the same transformer for another 20 watts? This would be 3 six watt floods and 2 one watt spots that would probably work on a 14 gauge 50 foot run. I wasn't sure if I could attach two different runs/wires to the transformer or not.

Thanks!

kah5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,076

Low voltage led landscape lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by kah5683 View Post
Not sure if this post should be here or in landscaping...

Read about voltage drop with low voltage lighting, but see where it isn't a big concern with led lights. I have 16-18 bollard led lights (1 watt each) that I thought I would daisy chain, until I read about drop. I checked out one formula, and figured with 14 gauge wire on a 45 watt transformer and running 100 feet, that the drop would be less than 1. Plus I have read with led, not to concern myself with the drop.

Am I okay here to daisy chain the 16-18 one watt bollards on one run? Secondly, I guess I figured the 100 feet of 14 gauge wire would reach everything I wanted, but it doesn't. IF I haven't exceeded the maximum wattage on the transformer - which I haven't with 16-18 watts with the 16-18 bollard led lights - can I add a second run with the same transformer for another 20 watts? This would be 3 six watt floods and 2 one watt spots that would probably work on a 14 gauge 50 foot run. I wasn't sure if I could attach two different runs/wires to the transformer or not.

Thanks!
I do a lot of landscape wiring, I doubt you will have any issues, but just out of habbit, I would run two sets of cables from the transformer and split the lighting load up... this wiring method will minimize any voltage drop.

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote