Low Voltage Dimmer - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2009, 04:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Low Voltage dimmer

I've just installed a hampton bay track system in my home. I used 4 low voltage lights. I think the have their own transformer.
here's the link
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...401+501401+904

my question is, I'd like to install a dimmer and the specs say use an ELECTRIC low voltage dimmer, I got a crappy one at HD and it didn't work! will it not work cause the wiring is old knob and tube with no neutral or ground? Any suggestions?

Advertisement

nolatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 10

Low Voltage dimmer

If you have knob and tube style wiring in your house then there should be a neutral and a hot wire ran side by side. The absents of a ground is an unsettling idea, grounds are installed for safety. I reviewed the HD web site and it doesn't state the voltage of your lights but from the accessory's shown I tend to believe that this isn't low voltage but in fact 120v. where are the transformers located (maybe in each light). if that's the case you should get the proper dimmer for that system from the manufacturer. transformers by code must be grounded, if the transformers are in each track head then they pickup the ground there. make sure that connect a ground to this track. If any part of this system is electronic the absents of a ground would definitely affect it.

Advertisement

spark-451 is offline   Reply With Quote