Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Low Voltage Conduit Runs

Perhaps a newbie type question, but one that I cannot seem to get a definitive answer from my searches: We’re in the preliminary stages of building a new home, and I have asked the builder and obtained approval to run low voltage runs throughout the house with the expectation I will abide by local code and I will not drill through joist (curious to see how the run everything else without taping into a joist or two, but that’s another discussion for the builder and I).
More to the point, I am exploring the option of using Carlon’s Resi-Gard low voltage conduit to make my CAT 6 and RG 6 runs throughout the house, first and second floor. As I exploring this option and trying to figure out how much I would need to complete the project, I started to think about how the runs would layout and questions began to enter into my brain. Do all the conduit runs have to be “homeruns”, from box to box? Or can I make conduit runs from the gang box to the basement ceiling and then run the cable bundles (without conduit) to the to the rack? If I can do the latter, it would save considerable about of material and effort to get the cables within the conduit. If further explanation is necessary, please let me know.

cphillipsmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Low Voltage Conduit Runs

Why are you running conduit to begin with?

Old 02-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,196

Low Voltage Conduit Runs

He is talking about the orange smurf tube. If done correctly it would allow for additions and upgrades in the future.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #4

Low Voltage Conduit Runs

To use the marketing buzz words from sites that sells it, to “future proof” my runs. As much as I would love to believe CAT 6 will be around for a long, long time, I know it will share the fate of CAT 3/5/5e and will be seen as obsolete. My intent, is to give me the opportunity to re-cable through the conduit, without having to open up the walls.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

Low Voltage Conduit Runs

All cable will have to run from where your switch or router will be to it's destination you can't just run one wire and go from one box to another.
rrolleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #6

Low Voltage Conduit Runs

Let me clarify, the questions are in regards to the low voltage conduit, not the cable runs. The cables will follow the hub-and-spoke principle of design and in my case the CAT 6 will be terminated at a patch panel.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
Licensed electrician

Low Voltage Conduit Runs

The runs would go from a common point to the boxes. You might be able to hit a couple boxes off the same run of conduit and just pull past the first box.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #8

Low Voltage Conduit Runs

I appreciate the tip. I may come across a few runs that I can split from a trunk.
If I may use that scenario, let’s say I have a conduit trunk through an interior wall that feeds multiple branches. I drill my hole for the conduit through the bottom plate of the wall and sub-floor to enter into the basement ceiling and feed the conduit through. Can I stop running the conduit (not talking cables here) after I breach the basement ceiling by a couple of inches? Or do I need to take the conduit trunk as far back as the run itself – meaning the remaining ceiling length of the basement to the termination point?
Old 02-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #9
Licensed electrician

Low Voltage Conduit Runs

If you are not going to finish the area you could just stop the conduit and pull the cables in the open.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #10

Low Voltage Conduit Runs

Awesome... Thanks for the quick turnaround on answers! I greatly appreciate it.

Tags
low voltage conduit