DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Low voltage box question

10K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Speedy Petey 
#1 ·
Hello:

For this detached garage/studio I'm wiring I have to install some low voltage bell wire for the garage door sensors and opener. I know that you're not supposed to run low voltage and high voltage wiring through the same holes, and I'm good there. I was planning to run the low voltage wiring through standard blue high voltage boxes. There won't be high voltage wires in the box, I just want to use that type of box for the low voltage wires. Is that okay, or do I have to use the fancy orange (and more expensive) open back low voltage boxes like I see at Lowes?

Thanks.

Shawn Marshall
Portland, Oregon

#3 ·
Hello:

For this detached garage/studio I'm wiring I have to install some low voltage bell wire for the garage door sensors and opener. I know that you're not supposed to run low voltage and high voltage wiring through the same holes, and I'm good there.
Sure you can.

I was planning to run the low voltage wiring through standard blue high voltage boxes. There won't be high voltage wires in the box, I just want to use that type of box for the low voltage wires. Is that okay, or do I have to use the fancy orange (and more expensive) open back low voltage boxes like I see at Lowes?

Thanks.

Shawn Marshall
Portland, Oregon
Sure that will work.

#4 ·
The current code requires a 20 minute membrane separation between the house and the garage, and further requires that all structural elements (walls, posts, etc) supporting the surrounding structure. Anytime an electric box is put in a fire separation, it needs to be an appropriate box for the application. Since they don't make 20 minute boxes, the electric box will have to be a one hour box (which is a pretty standard box, with a few exceptions). Most plastic boxes that you find at home improvement centers are 1 hour rated. Mudrings or those plastic low-voltage boxes without backs on them carry no fire resistance rating, and are therfore not to be used in garages. Low voltage and home automation installers make this mistake on a regular basis! Installation of electric panels, alarm panels, or other electric boxes over 16 square inches (opening dimension) in the garage sheetrock is a no-no due to the added potential for passage of heat and fire in the event of a garage fire.

#7 ·
Hi:

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably go with some shallow blue boxes.

The info regarding fire separation does sort of apply to my situation, even though it's a detached garaged. Two of my walls are only a foot off the property line, and thus I have to have one hour fire resistive walls on those two sides with 5/8" wallboard on the interior and exterior and no openings to the exterior. I'm using standard blue plastic boxes in those walls, which I guess should be okay if they're rated for an hour.

Shawn Marshall
Portland, Oregon

#8 ·
Why are you even using boxes for the lo-vo stuff.
Just for looks?

I've never seen anybody use boxes for the sensor and button wiring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.