Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2005, 01:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Low energy lamp flickering when switched off

The problem that I am having is on a lighting circuit, where two low energy lamps that are flickering when they are switched off.

The lighting circuit is made up of eight lights in total, the problem is occurring on the 2nd and the 5th light where the low energy lamps are fitted.
The house is less than 10 years old

I have also made the following observations;
The 1st light on the circuit when switched off and all lamps removed measures 24V ac across the neutral and switched live.
The 2nd light on the circuit when switched off and all lamps removed measures 68V ac across the neutral and switched live.
The 5th light on the circuit when switched off and all lamps removed measures 48V ac across the neutral and switched live.
All other lights have no voltage present under the same conditions.

I have tried to resolve this by carrying out the following;
Rewire feed to first light and switch wire, still 24v present.
Disconnected all other lights on this circuits, still 24v present.
Remove all other circuits from fuseboard leaving only this affected circuit present, still 24v present.
Run in separate earth, still 24v present.
Renew light fitting.
It is not switching the neutral.

The only thing that will remove these voltages is a standard light bulb; however the tenant is not happy with this insisting there still is a fault with the wiring.

I have also carried out insulation resistance tests >200 Mohms and earth fault loop impedance at the fifth light was 0.99 ohms the supply is a TN-C-S system and all the supply side connections have been checked.

Any suggestions welcomed

imported_Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Low energy lamp flickering when switched off

Hi Paul

Is this a single family home or is there other circuit besides "all" the ones you were able to shut down that may be interfering? I once had a inductive transfer that affected a fluorescent. This was caused by a loaded wire next to the switch feed to the future inductively passed the current. I never checked with a volt meter but the 4' fixture would flicker only when a pump was on. There was no conductive path for this current it was inductively transferred. It seems from your tests, You basically have eliminated most other possibilities I am thinking of.
Just a couple suggestions they may help trigger a idea or something.

Hopefully if my suggestions didn't help, someone else in the form can come up with other ideas. .

Let us know what you find!

or maybe supernatural forces are at work. I am sure at this point it seems that way.:confused: