Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
Electrical Enthusiast

Share |

Lost utility leg?

So I came out to our farm today to check some things and noticed when I went to the barn the lights only faintly glowed. The well was also not working as there was no water at all. Upon further inspection I noticed half the lights in the house were working fine, but the other have only come on (very dimly) if the 240 volt well breaker is turned on. The main panel (it is a mobile home, the main is outside on a utility pole) seemed wet on the inside for some reason. We had an ice storm about a week ago, maybe that had something to do with it? Do I need to go ahead and call the power company tomorrow or should I do some testing first? The panel is somehow wet on the inside so I am hesitant to test it with my multimeter. Thanks.

Kyle_in_rure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #2

Lost utility leg?

A dropped leg can burn up anything electrical that's plugged in at the time.
I'd have killed the main and called the power company ASAP.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #3
Electrical Enthusiast

Lost utility leg?

Power company came out. They said whatever it is it's on our side. They tested and got 248 volts between the hots on both sides of the meter.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #4

Lost utility leg?

Ya better call an electrician Kyle !

Do you know any ?

Ba - Ha !
dmxtothemax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Lost utility leg?

Cycle the main breaker a few times?
Old 12-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
E2 Electrician

Lost utility leg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
A dropped leg can burn up anything electrical that's plugged in at the time.
I'd have killed the main and called the power company ASAP.

Only the grounded conductor....
stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
danpik (12-28-2013)
Old 12-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #7

Lost utility leg?

120 can be an issue even if 240 is ok. It sounds like it may be a loose neutral. Check the neutral connections in the main panel tobmake sure they are tight and the neutral connections on the circuits at each of the dim lights. Of course you will have to wait for the weather to get better and the panel should not have water in it so there is a problem with the panel as well. The panel may need replacing.
statum1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #8
Electrical Enthusiast

Lost utility leg?

I went back during the day when I could actually see. (It was very dark with all the outside lights off). The main breaker wouldn't budge, I pulled back and forth on it, heard a pop and Lo and behold the 240 is back and well is filling up.

I guess it's Time for a new panel
The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle_in_rure For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (12-29-2013)
Old 12-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #9

Lost utility leg?

Yes...immediately. you are rolling the dice.
statum1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #10

Lost utility leg?

So the main breaker obviously needs to be replaced !
Doesn't it ?
Cause it will happen again
count on it.
dmxtothemax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:25 AM   #11
Retired from the grind

Lost utility leg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_in_rure View Post
I went back during the day when I could actually see. (It was very dark with all the outside lights off). The main breaker wouldn't budge, I pulled back and forth on it, heard a pop and Lo and behold the 240 is back and well is filling up.

I guess it's Time for a new panel
If just the mains disconnect to the various sub-panels on the property, there is no corrosion on the bus bars on the panel(s), if you can get a new Main Breaker, I would do that, then replace the whole panel.

Now of course if the panel is inside the Mobile Home, and you are going to the expense of putting in a new panel, if for just the Mobile Home, I would go with the expense and put in AFCI breakers, or at least have some way to monitor the property for in case of a fire.

If you have a way of getting Internet on the property, I would install a Ted5000 unit, so that when you are not on the property, you are able to remote monitor these electrical problems. That way you are not finding out after you drive all the way up there, and forgot that you either to bring back up the generator if you have one, for repairs, or use at home, or forgot to bring up some fuel for the generator, if you keep one on site.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:34 AM   #12
Electrical Enthusiast

Lost utility leg?

I appreciate the advice from everyone. It's a 25 year old 100 amp panel outside on a pole with some rust , so it's probably Time for a replacement panel.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Lost utility leg?

Rust is always the killer. I would build some kind of box shelter to place it in. Just need a Roof that extends over the front, to keep the rain from beating directly on to the face.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:23 PM   #14
Licensed electrician

Lost utility leg?

An exterior panel should already have all the needed safeguards built in. A NEMA 3R would be the correct type.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #15
Electrical Enthusiast

Lost utility leg?

I'm fairly certain it's a square d exterior panel. If I go up there soon I'll post a picture. I think water has seeped in through the cover and maybe where the conduits are attached.