Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2010, 11:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Lost power help

I lost power to a outlet in my basement while a electric heat was plugged into it The basement is finished as I have no way trace the wire
After using a tester to try to trace the wire and check for power I started to find when the power is off and i have the meter to the setting that beeps at you when you touch the prongs together(I always called it "ohming it out" dont know if thats the correct term) when I would put the prongs in the outlet it would beep like there connected together This really confused me I cannot figure out what happened if something is wrong with another outlet or if the wire melted Can anyone help

homeowner4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,248

Lost power help

Make sure the breaker is off and remove the receptacle.
Check to make sure that the wires are connected to the screws.
You may have to pull all the receptacles on this circuit out to find the problem.
It will be the last working receptacle or the one that does not work.

If you get e reading between hot and neutral, then you are reading a load connected to that circuit.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,158

Lost power help

Even though it's a finished basement could there be a GFCI receptacle upstream?
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:08 PM   #4
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Lost power help

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeowner4 View Post
I lost power to a outlet in my basement while a electric heat was plugged into it The basement is finished as I have no way trace the wire
After using a tester to try to trace the wire and check for power I started to find when the power is off and i have the meter to the setting that beeps at you when you touch the prongs together(I always called it "ohming it out" dont know if thats the correct term) when I would put the prongs in the outlet it would beep like there connected together This really confused me I cannot figure out what happened if something is wrong with another outlet or if the wire melted Can anyone help
if there's a zero ohm reading between hot and neutral and you have all you loads unplugged from the circuit(every plug this breaker runs not just the one that doesn't work) then you've got a dead short. Inductive(heating) loads tend to do damage quicker to wires than most. Unfortunately your going to have to find every outlet thats on that circuit and start trouble shooting. does the breaker trip? or does is stay on? if it trips then a dead short is most likely your culprit. If it stays on then i'd say you've lost your neutral perhaps. Did you try to get a meter reading from black to ground. If you get a 120v reading then most likely it's a bad neutral. Too many possibilities though....need more info.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #5

Lost power help

Yes I have pulled the receptacle and checked all the connections Im assuming its in line with the other receptacles and I have checked those but it is along the back wall so not 100% if it is ran off of the other outlets Now I was wondering if it could have taken out something in the last working receptacle that would cause it to work but somehow affect the other the way the room is laid out the one that is not working would have to be the last in line unless it was jumped off of something Im unaware of I didnt finish the basement and dont know how the wiring was ran(and really dont want to cut open the drywall unless I know for sure its a broken line) I have searched for any GFCI outlets all over the house they all seem fine no trips
Old 04-01-2010, 01:21 PM   #6

Lost power help

When I test the voltage on the bad outlet it will read like 9volts , the breaker does not trip , I did check between hot and ground thinking the same thing and got the same 9volts
Old 04-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,158

Lost power help

Try turning the breaker off and resetting it.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:32 PM   #8

Lost power help

I have done that already
Old 04-01-2010, 02:51 PM   #9
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,468

Lost power help

Now check the receptacle on the other side of this one. Normally they are wired in a daisy chain fashion. The one upstream could have the poor connection.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 152

Lost power help

a classic problem you might have is that when the basement was being finished you might have driven a drywall screw or some kind of nail through the electrical cable.

It took time but know the hot and neutral are touching inside the wall( and maybe the ground also). It happened to my friend when some kind guy installed some hardwood floors, one of the nails hit the electrical wire and like 5 years later the outlet went.

Pretty much trouble shoot the problem and see which outlet doesn't work. Then make like an extension cord and do a parallel circuit feeding to the next outlet that was working and you'll know that the wire was hit.
humberguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:07 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 500
Thumbs up

Lost power help

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeowner4 View Post
I have done that already
Then you can conduct a CONTINUITY test, with the breaker off! Switch the multimeter to OHMS. Or "continuity. If you already pulled all the receptacles on the circuit, you should find the point of loss. Foolproof!!

spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote