Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Lost Main breaker twice - How can I tell if I have a defective breaker?

I've had to replace the 100 Amp Main breaker twice. I believe now that one of my circuit breakers is bad on one side of the electrical panel and it is causing my main breaker to short out. (I am only loosing one side of my panel) How can I check to see if I have a bad circuit breaker that is not tripping when I have an overload and is destroying my main breaker. Tired of buying new Main breakers at 50 bucks a pop.

Ron Haakenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

How does the main breaker fasten to the bus bar? Check that spot for arcing or burning away of metal.

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
Sparky

Rewards Points: 504

does the main breaker clip on to the bus or is it bolted in? Which manufacturer/type of breaker is this?
Techy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:13 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

If a main breaker has failed that many times I would look at a look hot or neutral wire connection or loose connection where the breaker connects to the bus bar. Any loose connection would cause the breaker to heat up repeatedly causing it to fail.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:19 AM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

And what kind of load are you running in this box ??

I am pretty sure that you have bad connection on the bussbar if get pitted or corroded then you will have to replace the breaker box that is the only safest methold you can do or you can do the gut changeover only if that is the same brandname and type.

So therefore before you do any changeover on the breaker do as other guys posted.

And most common cuprit is not mounted properly if you get this main breaker mounted crooked ( not straight ) it can cause overheating on bussbar connection at the main breaker.

Second thing you should list what you have in your house like electrique stove , electrique dryer , electrique water heater and other hevey power useage if you have pretty good size house IMO the service may be too small for your useage. ( until I know the Sq Footage and what kind of appalince like all electrique or gaz and heating / Air Condtioning [ central or windowshaker] )

Merci,
Marc