Lost Linesmans - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2008, 07:55 PM   #1
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,466

Lost Linesmans

I lost my new klien linesmans in a freakin attic today, one of those
that you have to use snorkling equipment due to all the blown in insulation. All for a lousy cheapo ceiling fan install..... Just venting but I could use a little sympathy.....

Stubbie

Advertisement

Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:30 PM   #2
liscenced electrician

Rewards Points: 514

Lost Linesmans

one of those days that it feels like you would have made more money if you stayed in bed

Advertisement

jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:02 PM   #3
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Rewards Points: 500

Lost Linesmans

Stubbie-

Don't worry, my friend. When I was re-signaling a huge branch of our transit system, I worked with this guy Jimmy. He's a really smart signalman but he's a total clutz. We'd be doing a cutover in the middle of the night on the elevated structure and this guy would drop his tools 30ft to the alley, on peoples' garage roofs, in their backyards. One after another--there go a pair of channel locks, then a side cutter, a pair of lineman's, greg's lineman's, part of a signal. At the end of one particular cutover, we're all gathering down at ground level near where the cars are parked. It's like 3:30a on a Saturday in a very populated Chicago neighborhood-lot's of action. We're all joking around and what the? Here comes jimmy on a cherry picker. "WTF, Jimmy?" "Nahhh, I need to get some of my stuff that I dropped." Next thing you know, he's stepping onto someone's roof and voila! Out of the gutter, he produces his channels. Revs 'er up and now he's disappeared into someone's yard. "Hey, Greg, I got you Lineman's..." he yells from behind a 6 foot fence. All of a sudden, the lights in the back of this house come on and about the same time, two cop cars come around the corner, lights flashing, the whole nine. One HO called the cops as they thought we were a bunch of hoods up to no good. The one who caught Jimmy in their back yard thought that he was peeping! After we explained everything, Jimmy was begging the cops to let him go onto a couple more garage roofs to get a few other things that he dumped. One of the cops was staring him in the eye for about 30 seconds before he says, incredulously, "are you f***ing kidding me, sir?!"

So, at least you made it out without almost getting arrested!
Old 07-25-2008, 09:27 PM   #4
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Lost Linesmans

Well I feel better now. Only good thing I can say is in the heat of the afternoon I certainly lost a few pounds up there playing mole looking for them. I came real close to getting one of those big magnets and trying to snag them that way.
I'll say this if the HO takes a peak up there he is going to think that Popeye had a fight with Bluto in his attic......

Last edited by Stubbie; 07-25-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:38 PM   #5
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Lost Linesmans

We haven't had lights in our staircase for months. I was supposed to install three H7ICAT cans in my attic and didn't get around to it 4 months ago when I was supposed to. Now the attic's like 145 degrees on a good day!

And I hear you about the blown in insulation. Whenever I work up in mine, by the time I'm finished it's like R-4 here, R-91 under this pile. I have to go around with a rake to even 'er out!

Jimmy
Old 07-25-2008, 09:49 PM   #6
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,162

Lost Linesmans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
I'll say this if the HO takes a peak up there he is going to think that Popeye had a fight with Bluto in his attic......

I've met those guys.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:53 PM   #7
Floor Sweeper

Rewards Points: 252

Lost Linesmans

I am a freak when it comes to my tools!

Every time I scurry out of an attic, I always do a "tool count" to prevent such a catastrophe from happening. I ditch most of the crap out of my pouch before going in, and carry only the essentials.

It wasn't one of those "Journeyman Series" ones with the nice comfort grips and the fishtape puller and crimp die was it?

GO BACK IN AND GET IT!

I CAN HEAR IT SCREAMING FROM HERE... Come get me! Get me out of this hell hole! I want to twist wires again!
junkcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:55 PM   #8
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Lost Linesmans

Hi Speedy how are you today....bad part is I never really needed them I just hate to be without them. I feel naked without my linesmans, they are the best spider killers I have. Especially when the little beggers get a little confrontational...show them your linesmans and they usually backoff.....
Old 07-25-2008, 10:01 PM   #9
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Lost Linesmans

Hi Junk

Yeah I can hear them believe me... and yes... they were the polished steel and soft grips. They have only had the privilege of being in my trim out pouch for a few weeks. I say privilege because I had to retire my trusty T&B's...god rest their soul....and don't make the style I had anymore.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:29 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,000

Lost Linesmans

Stubbie, may your pliers rest in peace.

PS: It is entirely too hot and humid here in Kansas for anyone with your knowledge to be in an attic on a day like this. You need to hire yourself an idiot to send into attics, crawlspaces, and other miserably hot spider-infested spaces.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:16 PM   #11
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Lost Linesmans

I know you have probably been in your fair share of them... but you have more sense than me and do it early or late in the day. I sorta got whistle bit today and needed to get this done in the hottest part of the day. You would think being retired I'd give this stuff up. But I need gas money!!! Jeez today I filled up at $3.89 and thought I was getting a bargain...whats the world coming to....
Old 07-25-2008, 11:30 PM   #12
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Lost Linesmans

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
You need to hire yourself an idiot to send into attics, crawlspaces, and other miserably hot spider-infested spaces.
Yoyizit? He can go up there an talk about modulus of elasticity to the joists, current density vector calculations to the wiring, and thermodynamic laws to the blown-in insulation. And all the building systems will be soundly asleep (and probably be behaving, too)!

Use a micrometer to measure the chalk line that you hit with a sledgehammer. Geez!

Signing off,
Jimmy
Old 07-25-2008, 11:34 PM   #13
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Lost Linesmans

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkcollector View Post
Every time I scurry out of an attic, I always do a "tool count" to prevent such a catastrophe from happening.
Interesting fact: Nuclear Power Plants do the same sort of thing for trades entering the reactors for maintenance. They are given tools upon entry and they need to make sure that they return them on exit. Just to make sure that "hot stuff" doesn't make its way out of the plant. Your sheet doesn't balance? You'll be there all night looking for that side cutter before they'll let you go home!

Interesting,
Jimmy
Old 07-25-2008, 11:43 PM   #14
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Lost Linesmans

Quote:
Yoyizit? He can go up there an talk about modulus of elasticity to the joists, current density vector calculations to the wiring, and thermodynamic laws to the blown-in insulation. And all the building systems will be soundly asleep (and probably be behaving, too)!
Now that's an Idea Jim!!! A little heat to the brain would do him some good....maybe he could perform some of his reasoning with some of these guys.....

Old 07-26-2008, 12:20 AM   #15
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Lost Linesmans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
Now that's an Idea Jim!!! A little heat to the brain would do him some good....maybe he could perform some of his reasoning with some of these guys.....

Oh, we can all pray...

Advertisement